1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

football stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wvsportswriter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Just making sure of something here ...

When you are keeping football stats, a holding call negates the carry and the yardage, correct?

2. Unless the hold comes in front of the line of scrimmage. Then the ball carrier gets rushing yardage to the spot of the flag. Then 10-yards from spot of the flag for the hold.

3. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

do you count attempts/completitions/rushing attempts/yards for two-point conversions towards a players' final total?

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Dead on. And the RB gets a carry too.

5. Nope. Two-point conversion yardage doesn't count toward stats. And if I'm not mistaken, someone correct me if I am, I don't think you count any penalty yardage on PATs or two-pointers.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

True, but I believe you do count them in the number of actual penalties, not penalty yards.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We really need a running stats thread.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What about passing yards?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One yard passing for every yard gained passing.
    There, taken care of.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I have a question I haven't encountered, or remember encountering, the other night.

Punting team is at its own 37. Kid gets his punt blocked, guy from other team gets ball and goes 23 yards for the score. So is it negative rushing yardage for the punting team? Or does it go towards the punting yardage? I don't keep punting yardage so I just didn't bother.

I think it goes towards punt yardage but other stat guys around me weren't sure.

And I agree we need a running stats thread.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It looks like that would fall under Article 1, Accepted Ruling (A.R.) 3 -- a team punt for 0 yards, the kid who blocked the punt gets credit for a 14-yard return and the kid who scored (if not the one who blocked it) gets credit for the rest of the yardage but no return attempt. That would be similar to the hook-and-lateral where the picth man gets receiving yards but no reception.

The following is from the NCAA stats manual.

SECTION 7—BLOCKED PUNTS
    Article 1. A blocked punt is recorded as a “Team” entry (except when a properly centered ball is fumbled) and not charged against the individual kicker. Also, charge one punt for zero yards to assure that the blocked punt is included under “Times Kicked” in team totals.

If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and is recovered by the blocking team, the yardage is treated as a punt return by the player who blocked the kick. If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and is recovered by the kicking team, the yardage is treated as a punt return by the player who blocked the kick; and the blocking team is charged with a fumble lost, except on fourth down. Remember that yardage for a blocked punt by an opponent cannot be a negative figure, but is listed as zero yards and the difference shall be listed as punt return yardage for the team blocking the punt.

A.R. 1. Team A’s ball on the 50. Adams’ punt is blocked by Brown and recovered by Team A on its own 40. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards. Charge Team B with a fumble lost, except on fourth down.

A.R. 2. In the same situation as A.R. 1, the ball is recovered by Brown. Charge Team A with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards.

A.R. 3. Team A’s ball on its 30. Adams’ punt is blocked by Brown. Benton picks the ball up on Team A’s 20 and runs for a touchdown. Charge Team A with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards. Credit Benton with no punt return but with 20 yards under “Punt Returns” and a touchdown.

A.R. 4. In the same situation as A.R. 3, Adams’ punt is blocked by Brown, who picks the ball up on Team A’s 20 and runs for a touchdown. Charge Team A with a blocked punt of no yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 30 yards and a touchdown.

Article 2. When a Team A punt is blocked behind the neutral zone (line of scrimmage), Team A retains the privileges it had before the blocked kick (i.e., it may kick the ball, pass the ball or advance it by rushing). If punted, measure the yardage from the point where the player punts. If passed, measure the yardage involved from the line of scrimmage. If advanced by rushing, measure the yardage from the point Team A’s player gains possession. Exception: If advanced or punted from the end zone, yardage is measured from the goal line.

A.R. 1. Team A’s ball on its 30, fourth down and 10. Adams’ punt is blocked by Brown and recovered by Adams on Team A’s 20. Adams punts again to Team B’s 40. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards. On the second punt, credit Adams with a 40-yard punt.

A.R. 2. In the same situation as A.R. 1, Adams picks up the ball on Team A’s 20 and runs to Team A’s 40 for a first down. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards and Team B with a fumble lost. Credit Adams with a rush of 20 yards and Team A with a first down by rushing.

A.R. 3. In the same situation as A.R. 1, Adams picks up the ball on Team A’s 20 and throws an incomplete pass. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards and Team B with a fumble lost. Credit Adams with a pass attempt.

A.R. 4. In the same situation as A.R. 1, Adams, after picking up the ball on Team A’s 20, completes a pass to Allen on Team A’s 40 for a first down. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of zero yards. Credit Brown with a punt return of 10 yards and Team B with a fumble lost. Credit Adams with a completion for 10 yards and Allen with a pass reception of 10 yards. Credit Team A with a first down by passing.

Article 3. When a punt is blocked and recovered by the kicking team beyond the neutral zone, credit that team with a punt and yardage measured from the line of scrimmage. Do not credit the player who blocked the punt or the other team with a punt return. Do credit the player with a blocked punt.

A.R. Team A’s ball on its 30, fourth down and three. Adams’ punt is blocked by Brown and recovered by Allen on Team A’s 35. Credit Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of five yards. Do not credit Brown or Team B with a punt return.

Article 4. A punt that is blocked as a result of the kick striking the punter’s teammate behind the line of scrimmage is treated as a “Team” punt. The ball may be advanced by the defense from any point on the field.

A.R. Team A’s ball on its 20. Adams attempts a punt but Allen backs (or is pushed) into the kick and it is recovered by Team B on Team A’s five. Charge Team A (not Adams) with a blocked punt of minus 15 yards.

Article 5. Blocked punts that pass the neutral zone are recorded as blocked punts and charged to “Team” if, in the scorer’s opinion, the distance of the punt is materially affected.

Draft saved Draft deleted