1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football state championship special section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by esport12, Dec 12, 2010.

1. esport12

esport12 Member

Just out of curiosity, was wondering what people have done or what works well when doing a special section for a high school football team heading to the state championship. Something beyond the standard stats, rosters, lineups, schedules, how they got there, by the numbers, keys to victory, etc.

Any ideas/discussion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Poster pages are easy enough and well-received.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sections of this type, I like to include a story on the opponent.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, for sure. Scouting report. Most fans already know about the "home" team and its players, but may know little to nothing about the team they will be facing.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've tried that in the past and it wasn't too well-received. My readers seemed to want to read more about their team, even if all I was doing was telling them things they already knew.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Maybe a flashback to a previous team that went to the championship game?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Chances are, if it's a pretty big program that's won multiple titles or been to the finals several times, there are brothers that played on those teams. If you find a family with two or three sons that played on those teams, there's a good story.

Draft saved Draft deleted