1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Sep 28, 2007.

1. jps

jps Active Member

I know I should know this, but just can't seem to remember ...

how do you record for a hook-and-lateral?

If I remember right: QB gets the throw and total yardage for the pass, WR1 gets the catch and yards to the pitch point and WR2 gets yards after pitch but not a catch. Is that right?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Correct.

WR2's yards are also under receiving yards, not rushing. So if he didn't have any other catch, he'd have 0 catches for 10 yards (or whatever it was).

3. jps

jps Active Member

Thanks ... hate those things.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Agree with about everything, except for the receiving yards for the first receiver. We were told the first receiver gets yards to the point where the second receiver gets the PITCH, not where the first receiver gets the CATCH.
    Could be wrong, though.

5. Hank_Scorpio

fossy, that's how jps wrote it in his first post.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Hank, I read his post to mean that the pitch point is where the first receiver caught the ball, not where the second receiver received the pitch.
    I was told the first receiver gets yardage to the point where the second receiver gets the ball on the pitch.
    If I got jps' version wrong, I apologize.

7. Hank_Scorpio

I do see how it could have been interpreted two ways in the original post.

At any rate, I believe your scenario is right, tho. The second receiver can only get yards from where he first touches the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted