1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stat question. (I swear I searched all over).....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Oct 18, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, first I looked in the official NCAA handbook then I searched online and then I search on this board so please don't kill me.

I'm putting together my box score for a game I went to today. Just wondering....

Kick goes out of bounds, receiving team gets ball at the 35-yard line.

How does this impact the kicking team's total penalty yards for a game. I have them with 6 penalties for 36 yards excluding the kick. Does it count as a penalty and if so, how many yards?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

MOTHERF$#%ER!!

How DARE you come here asking this question!!!

BILE!!! BITTERNESS!!!!! BLECH!!!!!!!!!

Answer: I'm actually not sure. It is called as a penalty on the field, but I don't know how they count the yardage for it, if at all.

3. schiezainc

I figured it would count as an additional penalty but no actual yards. I'm not going to lie though, I was a bit afraid of even mentioning that I had a question. Lest I upset the masses.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

The big question is: Did the team on offense run a hook and lateral on the first play?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Give the kicking team a penalty, but no yardage.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's a 15-yard penalty.

The receiving team has the option of taking the ball where it went out of bounds, declining the penalty, or they can take it at the 20, with a 15-yard penalty, putting it at the 35 - at least in high school.

7. schiezainc

No, the coach called a hook and ladder and three sports writers yelled at him from the press box. :)

8. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

You'd better have been one of them.

NFHS:

9. schiezainc

Ok. Three people, three answers.

I hate compiling stats :)

I like your answer the best. It seems the most offical. What, with it being in a quote box and all.

Thanks all.

10. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

No prob. To get technical, that quote is from the NFHS stats manual, Page 31, Provision 7.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Golly, we won't kill you... the high and mighty haven;t found this yet...

12. schiezainc

They're all out and about right now going: "I can't believe those assholes asked about hook and laterals again. God, why can't they just memorize every post since 2003 already?"

Draft saved Draft deleted