1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stat program

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1000questions, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 1000questions

1000questions New Member

Brand new here, and my apologies if this has been covered before.

I need help. I'm looking to buy a computer program for football stat keeping. I'd like to be able to produce something that you get at your typical college game (play-by-play, offensive, defensive stats, etc.). I'd like to be able to take a laptop to the game, keep a running play-by-play, and have it compile everything so that I have a complete printout by, say, 15 minutes after the final gun.

Can anybody link me to a Web site that sells such a thing, and I'd like some opinions on "your" software, if possible. Thank you.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I don't know of any programs. What you're looking for sounds a lot like something most colleges would use to pump out stats at the end of each quarter. You might want to get in contact with whatever major colleges are in your area/state to see if they have any suggestions.

3. donaugust

donaugust Member

Stat Crew is the standard, at least in the small college ranks. And it won't take you 15 minutes after the game to be ready to print, if you run it correctly.

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

StatCrew is the way to go. It's what we use in our Sports Information office. It updates all stats instantly, so you have a complete box score and report instantly.

The program also allows for just about any type of stat breakdown you would want for games, seasons and careers.

www.statcrew.com for the product information, and no, I don't work for the company.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've used DakStats for a couple of years. It's pretty easy to use, it's all done either through the keyboard or through your mouse. You can pretty much print a boxscore at any point in the game, the stats are updated instantly.

I used it for the couple of years I served as prep editor to keep track of our area leaders.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Those programs sound great, but is there enough time to be inputing all the stats into the computer and write down everything else you need? I've never used one of these programs, but at the college events I've covered they usually have one person working the computer (just typing in the numbers) and then a spotter saying all the action. At least that's how I thought they did it at the D1 school I was covering. You could get away without a spotter, but I wouldn't try to get too complex with the stats. Anyone else agree?

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I used DigitalScouts football stat program and it works great for someone that needs to write and watch the game if you use the Palm Pilot version and yes you can print first quarter-fourth quarter results.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Granted, I am very good at math, but using one of these I could get for my game story...

Drive charts
    Time of possession
    Punts
    Team stats (atts, yards, inc, int, tds, avg)
    Individ stats (atts, yards, inc, int, tds, avg)
    Penalties
    Turnovers
    Key plays and when they happened
    Individual scoring

I could even walk the sidelines and do it. I was never questioned about my accuracy.

All I needed was about 15-20 minutes to compile.

Four-color pen is any writers best friend. Plus, it works great at basketball games.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I personally endorse the multi-color pen as well. But he asked about programs for computers.

DakStats, the program I use, keeps a play-by-play and running stats on the screen for you. It's very easy to use, and you can even make notations on certain plays if you want a more detailed play-by-play.

Once you input each team's numerical roster, it's as easy as just clicking on the player's name, clicking on rush, and then moving the football to the point where he was tackled. You can even enter up to three tacklers per play. After that, you press enter and it automatically calculates everything.

The website is www.dakstats.com and you have a 30-day free trial. Try it out, if you don't like it, find something else. I tried three other programs (TurboStats was one of them) before I settled on DakStats. It had everything I needed and I could print a boxscore in game, instead of some programs which required you to save and quit the game before you could print.

Draft saved Draft deleted