1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football sections: Tab vs broadsheet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RustyHampton, Apr 25, 2008.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

How many of you still do your football preview sections as tabs? If you're still a tab, why? If you've switched to broadsheet, when did you do it and why?

Any information you can provide, including the name of your newspaper, would be appreciated as we look at reshaping what we do here.

Answer here or e-mail me if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Rusty Hampton
    The Clarion-Ledger
    rhampton@clarionledger.com

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

All of our specialty publications (of which we have about ton a year), including football tabs, have always been tabs. I've always preferred tabs and berliner formats to broadsheets, but that may be just me.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Crying-Liar gets no help from me.
    I keed, I keed.
    The reason for broadsheets, I suppose 6cx15" and full page ads generate more money and the ad people seem to be able to sell them easier.
    At another shop we did a quarterfold, stitched and trimmed for preps only.
    I don't think it made any money, but it was easier to put together, since all you wrote was team capsules and ran skeds for each school in the coverage area. Each school got a page and each ad was a full-page.

4. KoM

KoM Member

Advertising switched us to broadsheet a while back but we talked them back into doing a tab. We got a ton of complaints, readers saying they preferred the tab because it was handy to keep by their chair or whatever for an entire season while the broadsheet just cluttered stuff up.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Yeah, how could anyone find room for that.

[​IMG]

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My strong preference continues to be the tab.

It's user-friendly.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The problem with tabs is they rarely win special section awards.

I've been beating the drum for years to get our tab changed to broadsheet. Ad people won't have any of it.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Not that awards mean much, but we've done nothing but tabs and almost always win something. A great section is a great section, no matter the format. And, depending on the topic, advertising has never had a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted