1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColdCat, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You score it as a 5-yard rush and a 5-yard holding penalty since the referee screwed up the penalty. It should have been 10 yards assessed from the end of the 5-yard run. Ball should have ended up on the 25.

A.R. 2. Team A’s ball on Team B’s 30. Adams rushes for 10
    yards to Team B’s 20. A clipping penalty is called against Team
    A on Team B’s 15. The enforcement spot is the 20 (where the run
    ended), and Team A is penalized 15 yards to Team B’s 35. Credit
    Adams with a rush of 10 yards and charge Team A with a penalty of 15 yards.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2011ez.pdf (p.16)

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The refs screw up is always a pain in the butt.
    One of the oddest ref things I've seen:
    1. Punt goes out of the endzone for a touchback so team starts on their own 20. 1st down, Defense jumps offside, so it's now 1st and five. After confusion before the next snap QB calls for a timeout, when they come back defense jumps again and ball moves up to the 30...and the refs measure, despite the fact no play has been run and the defense has been penalized 10 yards. And yep, it was short. The coach nonchalantly walks up to the hed guy in stripes and reminds him of the sequence of plays.
    I used to think the refs were idiots when a drive started with a touchback and after any play that got near the 30 they'd measure...Afterall, MR. Ref if you mark the ball right and consistent, 20 to 30 is 10 yards. But that one took the cake.

One play I had trouble with in a game recently Receiver and defender both jump for a pass and are fighting for the ball as they hit the ground (feet only, neither is down yet). They are at a stalemate (not very long) until another receiver comes in, hits them both and ends up with the ball and falls backward about 4 yards. Neither of the initial two ever claimed control, so I was a bit perplexed on who to give the reception and yards to. If it were a simple hook and lateral I'd have no problem, but I couldn't really ever make a strong case for the initial receiver having the catch here.

Oh and BPoin: If it were up to me, I wouldn't put the yardage in the scoreline either, but that's how NCAA stat manual says to do it, that's why I did. And yeah, since I'm in Texas that's the rules we follow and the game initially in question was a college game.
    Sometimes universal rules would be nice.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

the guy who ended up with the ball should get the catch and the yards since he's the only one you could say with certainty that ever had possession of it.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think I was at that game. We called it, "Our freaking pretty-boy kicker who thinks he's gods-gift to football but flat-out sucks and blew another extra point and cost us the game," since he missed 2 PATs and had one returned for two points, a four-point turnaround in a one-point loss.

Then again, it was homecoming, I was half in the bag (Yuengling, yum) partying with friends I see about every 10 years or so and almost didn't even walk across the street into the stadium because the tailgater was so much fun, so the game was very, very low on the priority list of a great weekend.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

nope, this particular game ended up being a 26 point game.
    but both pretty boy kickers had trouble as both teams missed PAT's, one had a bad snap on a FG, the other hit the crossbar on a relatively short kick, and one punter shanked one for a remarkable -8 yard punt (hey got the kick to go out of bounds at the 3, which was good, but it was his own 3). Special teams was a horrorshow all around

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

OK, this brings up another point. How do you average a negative-yards punt? Is it simply subtracted from the total (which I assume would be the case), or is it just a zero punt?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

PODUNK -- Joe Blow 7 run (kick blocked)
    HOOTERVILLE -- Defensive conversion, Joe Schmoe blocked kick return

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pete Punter punts 6 times in the game for total of 209 yards = average 34.8.

He punts again for -4 yards = 7 punts/205 yards = 29.3

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

So long as the punt isn't blocked, the yardage is what it is. So if Joe Blow punts one straight up that lands on his head and is recovered there, it's a negative yard punt.

If it's blocked, it goes down as zero yards to the team punt, and the yardage to where it's recovered or returned is all counted as return yards.

10. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I think "scoring" is implied in this football lede:

Borrowing from the popular lyric "Save a horse, ride a cowboy," St. Paul's Coach Tony Smith saddled up Matt Gooding and the Bucks rode the senior running back to the tune of 45 carries and 479 yards right past third ranked Perrydale enroute to a 50-32 win. Nevermind the Homecoming Bonfire was cancelled at Queen Tessa Brentano's house, Gooding was hot enough on a wet and blustery night in the Rodeo Fairgrounds to warm the hometown legions as over 2200 fans rolled in from both schools to give the game a great playoff feel.

Or maybe the song has another meaning.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good grief ...

Draft saved Draft deleted