1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Sep 10, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I took a quick look through the NCAA rulebook and couldn't find this:

Team A is lined up in the shotgun and the center snaps it over the QB's head. The other team recovers the ball. Who is charged with the fumble, QB or center? I think it's charged to the center if the ball goes over the QB cleanly and it's charged to the QB if he touches it, but I'm not sure.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One other one, while I'm at it:
    When calculating total offense, do you subtract any penalties the offense committed from its total?

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

A) It is a team rush and fumble lost. There should be a bit in the stats manual about wild pass from center.

B) No. Nor would you add penalty yardage from fouls committed by the opposing defense. Total offense is net yards rushing plus net yards passing. If it's pertinent to the outcome, you should mention in the writeup that the team gained 283 yards, but the offense was flagged for 117.

Draft saved Draft deleted