1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If offsetting penalties are called on the field, are both sides still assessed penalty yardage?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Offsetting penalties, the play is dead, no penalty yardage.

Offsetting PFs, both team assessed 15 yards. The refs walk one way, then walk the other, spot the ball in the same damn place.

I think.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That would lead to a huge mess if one team was in half-the-distance territory.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never agreed with that thinking. In half-the-distance territory, the offense should play under the same rules as the defense.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I still count it as a penalty for each team in stats with zero yardage.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I know the rule USED to be, offsetting penalties wipe everything out -- no play.

Which led to some awesome cheap shot blindside personal fouls if the other team already jumped offside or got a motion penalty or something.

Somebody who actually knows the rules should correct us, but I believe in HS and college ball now, if the penalties are unequal, they are both marked off so the more severe penalty becomes more costly.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you for the responses.
    So many odds and ends involved with this I wish I knew better.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High school changed last year or the year before where two personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties offset, even if one would have half the distance.

The bad one is fouls by the offense behind the line of scrimmage are marked from the spot of the foul, not from the previous spot like is done in college and the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted