1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question ... last one

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Dec 5, 2011.

1. If the fumble is recovered in the end zone Smith gets credit for the 3-yard run and Jones gets credit for the recovery. the scoreline would read.

BF - Jones fumble recovery in end zone (Sparky kick)

If Jones recovers at the 1 and advances it, yes Smith gets a 2-yard run and Jones would get a one carry for 1 yard.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"If you're at the 9 1/2, it's the 10."

Um, no. If the ball is between the yard lines, its placement statistically is at the next yard line forward. It'd be at the 10 if you were at your own 9 1/2, 90 yards from the end zone you're driving toward. Only exceptions are when you've barely failed to reach a first down, where statistically you are a yard short of the first-down line, or if you're inside the 1-yard line, where you're still statistically at the 1.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And if you make a first down in the red zone between the 11 and 10 -- and thus could get another first down without scoring a TD. You're at the 11.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, but I've never seen it done that way. If a guy is at the 9 1/2 and needs to go 90 yards for a touchdown and they score, it's a 91-yard TD every single time.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Every college and NFL game I ever covered says "No."

High school games? Yeah, I've seen lots of variations in stats and yard lines (and not just for that reason).

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that last part is correct, because you can't have 2 players getting credit for a rushing attempt on one play. In high school, Smith gets a 2-yard rush and Jones gets a fumble recovery and 1yard rushing, and a rushing touchdown, but no attempt. It's the same as an option play when the pitch is made beyond the LOS.

7. Jones does not get any yardage for his fumble recovery, because the offense can't advance a fumble. If the ball bounces forward, original ballcarrier gets the yardage. An option play past the line of scrimmage is not a fumble. The final ballcarrier gets all the credit for the carry.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If the back end of the ball is touching the offense's 9-yard line, it's on the 9. If the ball is between the 9 and the 10, but touching neither line, it's on the 10.

The only exception to that rule is the first-and-10/goal quandary. If it's first-and-10, rather than first-and-goal, the ball must by definition be on the 11, because you have to be able to gain 10 yards while reaching only the 1. If it's first-and-goal, the ball is by definition on the 10.

You also award a first down for a touchdown in the former situation, but not the latter.

9. Padre

Padre Member

once the ball crosses a line, it's the next yard. Ex: if the ball is between the 19 and 20 and the RB goes the distance, it's 80 yards

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'll throw my support behind this.

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

This is from the NFHS Statisticians' Manual (it reads exactly the same way in the NCAA manual, the play example comes from the NCAA manual):
    Section V: Fumbles
    Provision 2: An offensive fumble advanced by a teammate from beyond the LOS is recorded in the category of the originating play, and the yardage is measured from the point of recovery of the fumble. Do not credit a rushing or passing attempt or fumble return yardage.
    Play example: A.R. 1. Team A’s ball on Team B’s 20. Adams runs to the 15 and fumbles. Allen recovers the ball at the 15 and gains an additional 10 yards. Credit Adams with a rush of five yards. Credit Allen with no rush but with 10 yards under “Rushing.” Charge Team A with a fumble not lost.

The next play example says that if the fumble is recovered in the end zone by an offensive teammate, the rusher gets credit for all the yardage, but this example, as I read it, is more in line with the original question, no?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know what's weird about all this. It's exactly like golf rules -- people who have playing golf at the highest levels for 40 years STILL have to consult the rulebook or ask in situations like this.

If there were message boards in the 1950s, these thread might have been there.

Not only is that not disturbing, I think it's kind of cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted