1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football scoring question ... last one

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Bumblefuck High is at the opposition's three yard line and Johnny Lineman runs it up the gut, but fumbles just before reaching the end zone. A teammate picks it up.
    Three yards rushing for Johnny Lineman and a zero yard return for his teammate?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Two yards rushing. Three is reserved for an actual score.

3. Rhody31

But then wouldn't there be a missing yard in the drive? If they started at the 10, picked up seven yards, then I gave him a two-yard run, I'm missing a yard. That's what's confusing me right now.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Where was the fumble recovered? If it was in the end zone for a touchback, it's a -1 yard fumble recovery. If it was recovered short of the end zone, it's "technically" at the 1 - a run of two yards and nothing on the return.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Can you advance a fumble forward if it's not the ball carrier? I know the NFL really limits that, and a quick discussion at my office reveals that we're unclear on NFHS rules.

If it's legal, then I could give two yards to the original ball carrier and two rush yards with no carry (like the hook-and-lateral or the holding call scenarios) and a touchdown to the guy who eventually scored.

If the ball wasn't advanced and it's at the half-yard line, then it's just 2 yards and a recovery by teammate. Fumbling the ball into the end zone itself should have been a touchback for the defensive team.

6. Rhody31

Ball was stripped short of the goal - inside the one - and fell into the end zone, where a teammate landed on it for a touchdown.
    The officials got together for a few minutes to figure out what happened. In the press box, we thought the lineman got in, but he didn't have the ball when they checked the pile because it had come out. His teammate had it, so they ruled TD.
    Right now I'm giving the linemen the yards, with the teammate getting 0 yards and just a TD.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would put it down as a 2-yard rush and a 1-yard fumble return. The boxscore would read Smith 1 fum return.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Via the NCAA stats manual. Fumbler gets all three yards. Kid with the recovery gets no carry, no yards and a TD.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Why does Bumblefuck continue to make these kinds of mistakes in key situations?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You cannot have a "fumble return" of a teammate's fumble. *

* Unless you are, say, Jim Marshall.

11. You also can't have a first down at the opponents' 10-yard line. If the offensive team can earn a first down, it's the 11-yard line, even if it's 10 yards and 1 inch. Inside the the 10 is first-and-goal from the 9. Just adjust your offensive stats accordingly for the play that gained the first down around the 10. Happens all the time in college games.

12. Rhody31

That doesn't make any sense at all.
    You can't be at the nine if you haven't gained the line. If you're at the 9 1/2, it's the 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted