1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Scoop twitter spat with Miss. St. SID

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the SID doesn't like it, its a lie.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Couple thoughts:

1. People remember something "wrong" or negative forever. Positive or accurate reports are forgotten.

2. The conversation was interesting. I would not have started by calling the SID tweet "unprofessional." made him defensive and he could not get off that accusation throughout.

3. Interesting how SID spells out that he is free to treat media who don't "come through us" as not real media.

4. I loved this "offer:"
    Martin: Scott, look, let me make you an offer that I bet no one has ever offered you. How about anytime in the future when you have something regarding Mississippi State you call me. I’ll tell you if it is true and if it is a good time to report it.

5. The whole tone of the SID's conversation does make me feel many "traditional" media outlets defer too much to the SIDs. It's OK to follow the rules if you are willing to break them sometimes, too.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think you just (re)trained a few editors and sports directors to make sure they do their own digging around Starkvegas.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It takes a special level of dumbass to think that a media outlet -- whether it's a blogger or a mainline newspaper -- would give a shit about that bolded part.

Brian, Ace and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bill Martin, you represent all that sucks ass about the SID world.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Why would anyone care that a blogger got his feelings hurt and that someone took a shot at his 'company?' Wasn't this post just as, if not more, unprofessional? Get a thicker skin and reply that you'll be standing by all reports associated with MSU, but thanks for reading.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If a/the highly public face of the entity you cover characterizes virtually all of your reporting as inaccurate, you have to defend yourself.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The blogger part isn't interesting. The SID part is interesting.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. I think he proved his point that the SID was wrong in his assertion. The SID agreed that virtually all the posts about his school were accurate.

The SID also made himself look foolish and controlling of all media. His "offer" was ludicrous.

The dude napalmed a bridge, but it was a bridge he apparently didn't need or use.

And this is a pretty respected "blog" among those in the coaching profession.

Draft saved Draft deleted