1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Rules Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Team A has backed up inside its own one-yard line. In fact, the back tip of the ball is just six inches from the chalk on the goal line. Team a runs a play from scrimmage and loses 7 inches on the play.

Question: Is this a safety?

Argument 1: If any part of the ball touches any part of the goal line then it's a safety. Thus, safety.

Argument 2: The forward-most point of the ball from the offense's perspective is measuring spot. In the case of a lost-yardage play, the whole ball must behind the plane of the goal line for a safety to be ruled. Thus, in the hypothetical above, no safety.

** Bonus points for citing your work.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Argument 2 is correct. Citation: my memory.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No. 2 is correct. Entire ball must be behind the plane of the goal line for a safety. Citation: I ref high school football.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Depends on who the league wants to win, and if the refs have money on the game.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding. There's your answer.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Realistically speaking, though, the ball would probably never be spotted straddling the goal line. The referee would either give a generous placement in front of the line or would call a safety. I've seen a lot of football and have never seen the ball spotted where it lies across the goal line.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why, with the ball on the 1, a false start isn't a safety. The penalty itself happened in the end zone.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

the plane of the goal line is the front edge of the line... which means going in (for a touchdown) you only have to cross to be in... and coming out (to avoid a safety) you have to be completely out.

That is a safety. I'm 100 percent sure.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Professor Google says that for a safety, any part of the ball on the goal line is fine (edit: fine for the defense, in case that was ambiguous). The ball must be completely out for it to be avoided.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Honestly, you'd never see that. At least not in any of my games. We're calling a safety.

And the reason a false start isn't a safety is it is enforced from the previous spot, not the point of infraction.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Okay - here's a question. Say the ball's nose is peeking out over the goal line as previously describe and in the unlikely chance that Team A goes for it on 4th down and there is an incomplete pass resulting in a change of possesion at the original spot. Touchdown for the team taking possession?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You'll never see it. The ball will be placed completely out of the end zone. Never on the goal line.

Draft saved Draft deleted