1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football position question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seahawk, Dec 17, 2008.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

That formation has actually become fairly common among NFL teams. Several of them will line up in that set and motion one of the fullbacks to a wing position, leaving an offset-I with a wing or flanker (depending on how far he motions). That way the defense isn't tipped off which side the fullback will be on. On occasion, they'll run the play without the motion, leaving both fullbacks in place.

Obviously, it's not a base formation, but some teams will use it several times a game.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I get H-back, flanker and slotback confused all the time.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A good H back is gold in the spread. Off Coordinators love the H - You can line him up anywhere. He is really a combination FB / TE.

4. 1000questions

1000questions New Member

In our high school system, the belly, the quarterback was the 1, the left halfback the 2, the fullback the 3, and the right halfback the 4.
    So the two basic plays were the 34 belly (fullback to the 4 hole, between the right guard and right tackle) and 35 belly (opposite). Could still run them in my sleep.

Jim Mora voice: Playbook? PLAY-book? All our damn plays were on one page!

Draft saved Draft deleted