1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football position question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seahawk, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I have never known the answer to this, apologies if it is a dumb question. Why is a fullback called a fullback, and a halfback a halfback in football?

I've always thought it should be the other way around, since a halfback is deeper into the backfield than a fullback. Quarterback made sense to me, since he is behind the line, but usually not by much.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the traditional T formation, the fullback lined up directly behind the quarterback, while the two halfbacks were on each side.

Also, I would think it has to do with each back's duties. Fullbacks traditionally run the ball between the tackles, while halfbacks run all different plays.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In many systems the backfield has numbers as high as 4.

QB=1 (1/4 of four, equals quarterback)
    HB=2 (1/2 of four equals halfback)
    FB=4 (4 = full equals fullback)

So a 28 sweep is the halfback taking a sweep to the 8 hole (all the way to the right of the end)
    A 44 blast is a fullback up the four hole, between the guard and the tackle on the right side.
    A 23 dive, the halfback up the 3 hole on the left side between the guard and tackle.

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

5. Huh. You really do learn something new every day.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Although usually with those plays, you never hear a quartback doing an 18 dweep, or an 11 dive. It's usually a qb boot, or a qb sneak.

Also, some systems will have a power I with another back between the halfback and the fullback that will be the 3 back.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

In dinosaur days, when I played, the fullback was the 2 back. The left halfback (we ran the T) was the 3 and the right halfback was the 4.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why are there tackles on the offensive line? Offensive linemen don't tackle anybody.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You just blew my mind.

10. Obviously hasn't seen Flozell Adams pass blocking lately.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll answer you when I stop driving on the parkway, get home and park in my driveway.

Draft saved Draft deleted