1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football parent: But they try just as hard as everyone else!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 12, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Friday. Dumb moi.

I was planning my weekend when I typed "Saturday".

Great damn book. OK movie.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Southlake Carroll and Euless Trinity played before an announced crowd of 46,339 the day after Thanksgiving in a second-round playoff game. It was the second-largest crowd ever for a high school game at Texas Stadium.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Not to thread-jack, but has any title produced a better array of media formats?

Friday Night Lights is a tremendous book, a great movie and a wonderful television show. Quite a feat, to have quality on all fronts.

4. healingman

healingman Guest

Typical high school call (well, sort of):

Coach: "We had four players over 100 yards rushing."
    Call Taker: "OK, what are their names?"
    C: "Well, hang on and let me get my book out here. Hey coach, you got those rushing stats?"
    CT: "Coach, while you're waiting on that, can you get to the first-quarter scoring?"
    C: "Sure, hang on a sec. Hey coach, you got yer scorebook with ya? I think I may have missed that first score, I'm not sure. Hang on with me, don't leave me hanging."
    CT: "I'm here coach."

Tick ... tick ... tick ...

Five minutes later:

C: "We took the ball on the 43-yard line and went down to their 5-yard line. Bubba John Lincoln took it in from 5 yards out. That was our first touchdown."
    CT: "And who kicked the extra point?"
    C: "Well, uh, I think it was No. 9."

And you can fill in the blanks from there ...

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

"Three's Company" gave us "The Ropers", and "Happy Days" begat "Joanie loves Chachi".

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fixed your rendundant use of the word "different." One of my pet peeves.
    Carry on.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd pay to watch the reaction to that.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I think three times in my career I have come across said kid later in the season, and just bullshitting, mentioned how pissed their parent(s) were at the story I wrote.

"Really? Wow, I didn't even notice. I thought it was a fine story." Was just about verbatim the reply from every one of them.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tons? No... However, this season (in a nut shell) coach is on the way out because of a huge scandal about grade changes for the football team; wound up revealing coach allegedly has a girlfriend with three of her kids having coach listed on the birth certificates. Principal got hired then revealed he was the football coaches college roommate. Coach's shenanigans got revealed, grade fixing was exposed and principal got fired. Prinicpal let it fly that he exposed coaches grade and sexual indescretions to the superintendent, claimed he couldn't get fired even tho he was a probationary employee and the shit hit the fan.
    Coach wants to go two years, but he'll lucky to make it past this one.
    This is not your older sister's Hooville.

Best part about it is there is a message board more pissy than we are dedicated to the city

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Damn. Didn't know Propst was in that deep.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently not, Tom. Watched the game on TV last night and it looks like Mojo is back.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, i hope not. i love seeing the freaks suffer.

Draft saved Draft deleted