1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football parent: But they try just as hard as everyone else!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 12, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

From the opinion section of the Bowling Green Daily News. ::)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is the best thing we can do: Run these diatribes as Letters to the Editor, and let everyone else see what doucheboxes some of these parents are.

3. KYSportsWriter

Something the parent forgot to mention: Three teams the BG Daily News covers were playing at home. Warren East was on the road in Bardstown.

Gee, who do you think will get the most coverage that week?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It doesn't matter where they played KY. It only matters how hard they tried.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I got an email from a lady today that made me scratch my head.

She was angry about the "coverage" of a game I didn't even cover. It was in a capsule at the end of the story I wrote. Apparently, because the capsule talked about the team that won, everyone at our paper is biased.

The funniest statement was this: "Did all of your sportswriters go to (Name removed) High School?"

Why was it funny?

The lady was a fan of the high school from which *I* graduated.

6. KYSportsWriter

Of course. How stupid of me. ::)

7. KYSportsWriter

Gotta love people like that. Since I started working at the paper I'm at, I've been viewed as a "traitor" by a select few people in my hometown because I don't work for the small weekly.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fuck these parents. I try as hard as anyone to be Jim Murray. Doesn't mean I'm going to get an automatic book deal.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hondo and I find common ground. Kumbaya and all that.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is where the more-on-the-Web-site approach doesn't sit well. Some people still judge coverage by its prominence in the printed product.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actual e-mail from opening night last week... in which Team A beat Team B, 40-14.

I take exception with Joe Writer's heading on S-11 "Team A sticks to
    plan in win". It should read, "Team A Crushes Team B". If Team B
    had won, that would have been the heading. Is Joe Writer an alumnus of Team B?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nah, if Joe Writer were an alumnus, the headline would have been "Team A Sticks It To Team B With A Rusty Scythe"

Draft saved Draft deleted