1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Night in America - Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 11, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

17 minutes from the opening until the first highlight. You have got to be kidding me. The 25 seconds it takes to Tivo thru 17 minutes is too long to get to a highlight.

Costas and Collinsworth shared highlight duties. Sharpe was Sharpe. Bettis didn't do too much. The group seems likeable enough.

The show didn't do anything for me. I don't need "exclusive" postgame interviews with Reggie Bush as he takes off his socks, but that's just me. They kept mentioning fantasy stuff, another irritant of mine. In fact, they might have given a trophy to one of the crew for his winning fantasy pick. Ugh.

The quandry these shows' directors must face is that after the exclusivity is gone, highlights are just a commodity, so you have to sell your personalities. But I thought NBC had the exclusivity window - I'd highlight the hell out of this show - find some insights, some odd plays. More highlights, less "other". JMO.

Other opinions?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the NFL thread, I didn't like it at all. I work Sunday afternoons so outside of the second half of the late game I don't get to see any of the other games so I relied on Primetime to get my weekly fix. I know Berman gets shit on all over the place (rightly so, too) but I loved that show.

Maybe I'll get into this too, who knows. Oh yeah, and they should knock off the "Bus" reference every time they talk to Bettis (who brought almost nolthing to the show).

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Awkward first night in many respects. They need a few more shows to find a rhythm, but I'd give it a C-

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth, they can't show highlights of the early games until 7:15 eastern.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it couldn't be worse than "the OT." i was so busy yesterday that i missed pretty much all the action so i put on OT before simpsons and whoever was doing the highlights was so damn annoying that i had to change the station. was it bradshaw doing the screaming uh, play-by-play of the highlights? it was literally unbearable.

i never ever thought i'd say this but i might actually miss chris berman...at least with the sound off you could watch real highlights when he and jackson had their sunday show.

6. Isn't Sean (The Blight) Salisbury involved with The OT?
    That was enough to keep me away.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

They really could have come up with a better name. If us Uh-mericans can't come up with something other than a blatant ripoff of a CBC show title ...

8. poindexter

Slate is disappointed in the highlights
    http://www.slate.com/id/2149978/

As is Steve Czabe
    http://czabe.com/daily/archives/2006/09/my_open_letter.html

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even my wife commented on the level of suck the pregame show has achieved.

She also thinks Bob Costas is the Antichrist.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The Slate article certainly did nail it.

Primetime was a great show, the likes of which will probably never happen again.

11. poindexter

I still remember the feeling when my college roomates and I watched the first Primetime (1986? 1987?).

I thought I had died and gone to heaven. An hour straight of great highlights. A tear still comes to my eye. Berman with less schtick. Pete Axhelm.

Ahh, those were the days.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

The sets are incredibly distracting and the guys are sitting way too far apart.

The content of the show? Eh.

Draft saved Draft deleted