1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football media days, RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For season preview stuff, it's relevant. But that's about it. Since our college preview section, uh, no longer exists, I was planning on doing a series of online previews of the teams in the league as a run-up to the season. So it's useful there. But you're right, once the season starts, the stuff is moot.

2. WS

WS Member

The Sun Belt is having a "new, interactive" media day, where you can talk to the coaches through designated teleconference times.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Interactive media days?
    Aren't they all interactive?

4. WS

WS Member

found the e-mail. "Cutting edge" is what I should have said.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't catch a buzz on the intersection of Bourbon and Interactive. Sun Belt fails.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True dat.

I'm old enough to remember the days when some conferences actually did a preseason "media tour", with stops at different campuses. Does anyone still do that?

I will grant you that media days are a good opportunity to get a lot of material at one stop. But sometimes they felt like industry trade shows.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

By the time I started covering the ACC, that 10-day "media tour/drunkfest" was a thing of the past. Some of the stories are legendary.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

That was so mind-numbing that halfway through it, most people didn't know what day of the week it was, just that tomorrow is "North Carolina Day".

There was the time we were pulling into the hotel at Clemson, back when the NCAA was taking hard look at the school, when somebody got on the bus PA and said "everybody go in and register as an NCAA investigator."

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Did the Pac-10 Skywriters Tour three times. Great memories, great parties, great stories ... and even did some good work.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like the old Southwest Conference press tour. Busload of Texas media criss-crossing the state with flights to Fayetteville and Lubbock tacked on at each end.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Had the extremely good fortune to do a bunch of those SWC tours. Oh my God, those were fun times. Too many stories.

One memory: The year the bus was stolen in Houston. In the annual tour photo that year, we posed around the recovered bus and everyone was wearing T-shirts promoting Wally Hall's radio show in Little Rock. Every year, Bill Morgan, the old SWC PR guy, would mail a copy of the photo to all the tourists that ID'd everyone. That year, the IDs were "Wally Hall, Wally Hall, Wally Hall..." etc. Good times.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

You must be about 100. ;D That was many moons ago. But one of the highlights of that college football beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted