1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football media days, RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 18, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4270637

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, because its a nice distraction to get away from things in the middle of the summer, but media days really don't serve that grand of a purpose. My conference might be one of the few FCS conferences that still has one, but I think they're scaling back too.

3. bueller

bueller Member

More room for the process servers.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I agree with the last quote in the story: Once something is cut, it's not coming back.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Noticed the Sun Belt is the only one that's still TBA at the moment.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I worked in the Sun Belt (I was at a non-football school), there were maybe a dozen media folks who attended basketball media days. It seemed like a complete waste of money.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know, Bub. It's the only place where I can get a player and a coach from all seven teams in the FCS conference I cover in a room at the same time. Lot easier to knock out those 14 interviews in two hours and have a recorder full of info for month-long blog posts leading up to the season than to try to get those interviews over the phone.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's a heck of an opportunity to get good photo resources, which makes it all the more troubling that AP was initially resisting all efforts to assure that they would provide photo coverage from all three days of the SEC Media Days.

I took a run at this issue with limited success. Rusty Hampton at Jackson, Miss., got on the case and got results; AP will now photo staff all three days.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I went to this past season's Sun Belt basketball media days, saying a dozen media folks were there would be generous.
    Seemed more like marketing/outreach to the community since it was going to be hosting the conference tournament.
    Media days doesn't always mean it is strictly for the media.
    That being said, I think some smaller conferences do them because the big boys have them. When those get dropped, the smaller conferences will eventually follow.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brimingham/Hoover will weep if they ever cancel SEC Media days.

11. Bubbler

As far as basketball vs. football, it depends on the conference. Basketball media day in my conference is much, much bigger deal than football is.

12. Bubbler

How relevant is any of that stuff once the season gets cranking, though? I've never found the shelf life of media interviews to be very long.

For the most part, coaches and players just bullshit their way through media day anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted