1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsnut, Jul 27, 2011.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Since the stadium in Los Angeles is still being discussed my question is would people in Los Angeles actually attend an indoor football game? I know, the city had the Avengers of the AFL but what about a team that joined let's say the Indoor Football League? Would a team in the IFL still be professional football or would people media, athletes etc consider it a minor league team?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Professional" and "minor league" are not mutually exclusive terms.

And in my experience, people won't pay to watch bad football, unless there's some sort of emotional connection (your kid plays for them, it's your alma mater, etc.).

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The Avengers papered the house something fierce. I bet it wasn't 10 percent paid.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

What do you mean?

Also, I mean is the Indoor Football League considered professional or minor league to the average joe and the media? Would a IFL team be a good business or a waist of money?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I mean they gave the tickets away.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The bigger questions about football in LA is if they build Farmers Field (the AEG project), will anyone come.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's too much else to do in that town, especially given what teams now feel they have to charge (in terms of raw prices) and the hurdles they feel they have to set up (PSLs).

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Is that like a money belt?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Waist of money:

[​IMG]

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

There's not an insignificant amount of paranoia in St. Louis that Kroenke is looking this over.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

IFL is basically a bus-league. They would need teams closer to L.A. than what is near there now (see an IFL team map at: http://www.goifl.com/teams/geographicmap/).

Not sure IFL is ready for L.A. Not sure L.A. would want IFL after having had NFL & AFL.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If Arena Football wouldn't play in L.A., then there's no other form of indoor football that would. I think one thing that will work for this incarnation of the league is the realization that it's just not going to fly in New York or LA, so just concentrate on making it work where it is (sorta) popular.

Draft saved Draft deleted