1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football in-game stats software

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gatoreditor, Aug 5, 2009.

1. gatoreditor

gatoreditor New Member

I am considering purchasing an in-game football stat software package and didn't know if anyone had recommendations on which ones to look at.

If anyone is using one in particular, I would appreciate knowing what it is and how usable it is.

Thanks.

Matt

2. share24

share24 Member

I usually patrol the sidelines taking photos, notes, etc., so I needed something hand held.

I purchased a package from DigitalScout.com that loaded into my Palm Pilot. It's simple to use (with some pre-game preparations like entering rosters).

Then, after the game, you upload all the info into a laptop and you have summary box scores, detailed box scores, etc. It's pretty awesome and the best that I've used, and I've tried a bunch.

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Depends on what you want to do. If you need simple agate boxscore stats (all individual offensive stats like rushing yards, passing yards, and receiving yards), then eschew buying a program and simply use excel. It's what I use for high school games, since we don't publish tackles or defensive stats (I keep tabs on a few dynamic defensive players and mention it in the game story if necessary).

I set up a spreadsheet for two teams, with the vertical column separated into "rushing", "passing", and "receiving" and a horizontal column for each attempt or carry. Then tabulate it all up in a column on the far right.

Looks like this:
    http://i30.tinypic.com/ioovvk.jpg

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

FixedIt.com

Free version does all the pay version does - except exporting the stats/box scores (into excel/word/html/etc) and printing them...

Works great for me.. Easy interface. Just be sure to click auto-save, it does crash a lot. Other than that, I have found that these programs from FixedIt.com are basically a graphical and windows based version of The Automated Scorebook....

5. gatoreditor

gatoreditor New Member

I need a program that will track two teams at once instead of creating a default opponent team

6. share24

share24 Member

DigitalScout.com...you can track any number of teams...and even create league statistic reports, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted