1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football has become the most popular sport worldwide with a billion viewers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Assuming you're not just kidding, no, no they don't.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not changing my story - I said it doesn't change THE POINT of my story which was that soccerheads came running here to defend their precious sport and it doesn't.

As soon as this thread came up - the soccerheads - the ones who still cling to the "most popular sport in the world" mantra came running to call 'bullshit' because they felt threatened.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So do you stand by your "soccerheads would take it as gospel truth" statement?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Seconded. Not a single place was closed in London the day after the Super Bowl when I was there.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I sure wish I had zag's motivation-divination abilities. Bullshit is bullshit; the fact that I like soccer has nothing to do with it.

6. zagoshe

well since there are apparently no "soccerheads" around here, yes.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, didn't remember quite right. It's been awhile.

It's just the American military bases, although they aren't entirely shut down.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, so you admit that the original statement had nothing to do with anyone "around here" then?

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

More ratings nonsense: The "Today" show crew claiming that 3 billion (with a "B") would be watching the opening ceremony tonight. How anyone remotely involved with journalism could say that with a straight face is beyond me.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then why did you label it as most popular?

11. zagoshe

No, I am saying that all of you soccerheads now claiming you really aren't soccerheads is cute and all.....

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who said I wasn't? I like soccer AND American football. Liking soccer doesn't obligate me to deny reality as regards World Cup ratings, but neither does it obligate me to accept falsehoods as regards Super Bowl ratings, merely to avoid being called a 'soccerhead'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.