1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football has become the most popular sport worldwide with a billion viewers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not really, read this thread.

There is nothing strawman about a bunch of soccerheads running to the defense of their precious sport seeing as the only claim they have to left to cling to -- that it is the most popular sport in the world -- is slowly but surely becoming just another myth thanks to basketball and now football.....

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You didn't actually READ the article I posted, did you?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That would require effort.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

1) You didn't read the link. If you did, you'd see that the 1 billion number was completely made up and bullshit.

2) The only reference to soccer numbers in this thread acknowledged that FIFA makes up numbers, too.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, I did, and that doesn't change my point - as soon as someone posted something hinting that the Super Bowl may have overtaken the World Cup in terms of worldwide viewership - the soccer heads came running to downplay the story and defend their sport.....

Again, not a strawman - a fact.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You are changing your story. That's not what you said.

You said that people would have accepted the number as "gospel truth" if it was soccer. That was disproven before you even posted it.

Bullshit is bullshit regardless of what it supports, and the "one billion" reference is clearly bullshit. It was bullshit when FIFA claimed it for soccer, as proven by the soccer fan who posted a link in this thread before you even said that soccer fans would accept it about soccer.

You were preemptively proven wrong and you *still* posted your stupidity.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

OK, here's the thing. That article that 'hints' that a billion people watched the Super Bowl?

No. 1, it's from last year. No. 2, it cites absolutely no evidence that that number is true. No ratings data, nothing. No evidence at all.

But hey, you're right. A couple of people pointed out that the posited theory was bullshit. That does technically fit your histrionic narrative, even if it doesn't quite do what you say it does. So carry on with your spittle-flecked invective. I've gotta diagnose and cure my own liver cancer.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/05/super.bowl.viewers.profit/index.html

I believe the 'billion' terminology comes from the fact that the Super Bowl is available to 1 billion potential viewers. Doesn't mean any of them are watching it. It was available to 80 million people in Britain. Doesn't mean many of them were watching.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't most businesses and such basically shut down on Monday, so the people can watch the SB live? In Europe that is.

I agree with the rest of your post. I'm just asking the question.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zag's universe.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lock This Thread Now ! We don't need another soccer troll thread.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, at least never when I was growing up. Can't see any reason why that would have changed, even though the BBC is now showing the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.