1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Hall Finalists for 2011: How do you pick just 7?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The best thing that can happen to Brown is that Carter and Reed both go in this year and then maybe he can hope to sneak in before Harrison and Holt are eligible.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Willie Roaf, Cris Carter, Charles Haley

3. Mizzougrad96

I feel pretty confident that Faulk and Sanders are locks this year.

I'd bet on Andre Reed as well.

The other three? It's anybody's guess.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've been hearing people say that Bettis is a lock & Martin is on the border. That's not what my memory tells me. Didn't Bettis have a Warner-esque hole in the middle of his career? Martin was as consistent as sunrise.

5. Mizzougrad96

I agree, but Bettis ended his career on a higher note and that's what some voters remember. Both will get in, it's just a question of when. I was surprised to read something on ESPN that said Bettis was a lock to get in this year. I would tend to disagree, but the person who was writing the story is a hell of a lot more connected than I am.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, Bettis really didn't have a Warner-type hole in his career. He had a huge rookie year with the Rams, then a very average second season (1,025 yards, but 3.2 per carry) and a crappy one before being traded to the Steelers, where he had six consecutive seasons over 1,000 yards.

Martin is definitely the more deserving candidate. He was more consistent and he was a very good receiver. Bettis was pretty much useless as a receiver.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Holy crap. Did OOP just admit somebody was better than a Steeler?
    Sure sign of the apocalypse

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. With the quality of the class I can't see Bettis or Martin getting in this year.

I know Martin has the stats, but he never impressed me as a HOF runner.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, Curtis Martin was born in Pittsburgh (Allderdice High) and did go to Pitt.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's a statement I don't understand (and Evil, I'm not picking on you, as it is a commonplace sentiment in Hall of Fame debates in all sports). "I know he has the stats, but he never impressed me as a Hall of Fame xxxx."
    The stats are merely a numerical reflection of what happened. Curtis Martin's stats are what you saw when you watched him play. How can a numerical expression of reality qualify him in your opinion and your memory of that reality not tag along for the ride?

11. In my mind, he's forgettable... wihtout looking at a list of running backs, if I had to reel off the top 15 or 20 running backs in the last 20 years, there is NO way I'd list Martin. He is/was off my radar.
    I have followed football since I was 8, so it's not like I'm just tuning in... I would have overlooked him. And because of that, I probably wouldn't put him in the HOF right away - if ever.

No offense taken MG ...

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I covered Martin with the Pats and Jets, and he sure struck me as a Hall of Famer. Oldest player ever to lead the NFL in rushing? That's a pretty studly accomplishment, and one that speaks of a terrific career.

Draft saved Draft deleted