1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Hall Finalists for 2011: How do you pick just 7?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because he left Pittsburgh and became a star in NYC. DUH. :D :D :D

Seriously, b/c he was one of the best--and probably the toughest and most durable--RB in the NFL for 11 years. He had six seasons w/1600 total yards and had more than 1400 yards in each of his first 10 seasons. The six 1,600-total yard seasons and 10 1,400-total yard seasons equal the number produced by Faulk. Martin had less than 300 carries just twice in his first 10 seasons and fell below 4.0 YPC just three times.

This is in no way saying Martin should be in and Faulk shouldn't (Faulk was a true dual threat and his four 2,000-total yard seasons are, umm, four more than Martin). But Martin ended up six yards shy (in 2002) of opening his career with 10 straight 1,100-yard seasons, which would have tied him for most all-time with Barry Sanders. And he made 88 straight starts from age 26 thru his career-ending knee injury at 32 (thank you very much, Fraud Herm Edwards), which is utterly remarkable.

Among Martin's comps (at ProFootballReference.com) after 10 seasons: Tony Dorsett, Franco Harris, Lenny Moore, Walter Payton, Jim Brown. The guy is the common link in how the Jets turned from the worst franchise in football into one of its regular playoff contenders. He was tough, he was a winner, he is a Hall of Famer. So let it be stated so let it be done.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's far from the worst explanation you've ever made on this site, so I'll accept it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bitch BYH wrote it.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Enough with that shit, dooley doesn't approve. [/crossthread]

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thought I'd revive this thread since we're getting closer to the vote.

I think Faulk and Deion are slam dunks.

I hope they put at least one of the receivers in. I think they'd put Reed in over Carter, although both will get in.

Not sure if Curtis Martin will have to wait a year or two.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Pro Hall is a weird deal. The hoops HOF is easy, if you are in the conversation, you are probably in. Baseball publishes the voting. The Pro Hall? It's like a Raiders coaches meeting - people go in - one guy comes out with a broken jaw - and nobody knows what happened.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's gotten better in recent years. Some of the grumpy old men have retired and been replaced with younger guys.

8. In order of worthiness:
    Sabol
    Sharpe
    Sanders
    Dent
    Brown
    Dawson
    Reed

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd rank them:

No brainers:
    Sabol
    Sanders
    Faulk
    Martin

Next level but definitely deserving:
    Reed
    Carter
    Haley
    Sharpe
    Brown
    Roaf

Wouldn't bother me if they got in:
    Dent
    Dawson
    Doleman
    Bettis

Buy a ticket:
    Kennedy

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

deion will get in but it's not likely to be unanimous. it'll get out how many voters said 'nay' and those naysayers may even i.d. themselves. it's not beyond dueion to rip them a new a--hole. you see his reaction to his 'lowly' place in the 'top 100 nfl players' list last summer? child, puh-leeze. ::) ::) ::)

11. Mizzougrad96

Based on what I've heard, Reggie White, Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith were not unanimous.

12. Mizzougrad96

I know we have baseball HOF voters on here. Any chance we have a NFL HOF voter on here?

Draft saved Draft deleted