1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football coach: But it was the kid's fault!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A 7-year-old boy was injured about 6 p.m. Thursday when he rode a bicycle into the path of a car being driven by the Muskogee High School head football coach.

Chase Thornton sustained a broken collarbone, road rash on a leg and shoulder and a knot on his head, said Capt. Chad Farmer.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/homepage/local_story_257020103.html

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, kids have been known to do stupid things, like running between parked cars. But the coach, though apparently not at fault, was a bit of a dickhead with some of the statements he made, then leaving the kid with a trainer because of a team dinner.

He's not at fault. But he sure doesn't look good.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

As a cyclist who has been narrowly missed by many cars while riding I can say that too many times it is, indeed, the cyclists' fault.

That said, I've had hundreds of experiences where bad-ass mofos blast black smoke at me from their trucks, swerve to force me off the road, pass me and then cut right in front of me to make a right turn, give me the one-finger salute or scream that I need to get off the road.

One thing I've learned is that the law of physics doesn't give a crap who has the right of way. A car will always win the battle in a collision with a bicycle.

I hope the kid is OK. The injuries described in the article tell me he's kind of lucky. But that coach needs to take a lesson in chosing his words more carefully. He also screwed up big time in leaving the scene of an accident. Dick.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070914_1__MUSKO15376

UPDATE: Muskogee coach says he is not a monster

5. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Me knows somethin about this.

Coach claimed the reporter took him out of context, that he was bitchin about having to be back at the police station filling out reports. Also, some people in the athletic department including a nurse/mom of a player and a certified trainer talked him into leaving, saying they had it under control. The car was not moving when the kid hit it. The error appears to be obvious: you don't leave the scene even if it's not your fault. We do after all live in a lawsuit happy world. Three of those ambulance chasers with the 800 numbers that interrupt your favorite cable TV show were probably calling the kid's parents that night.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Every so often I see these kids in their teens and early 20s on bikes weaving in and out of traffic unpredictably, sometimes talking on cell phones, taking it on faith that drivers will see them, stop and avoid hitting them.
    And it makes me wonder: Are these urban cyclists suicidal or just stupid?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Gotta say it: I love your side saddle, Ides. But it wouldn't be complete without the, "That's how I roll."

Well done, sir.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. I hope the coach's car wasn't dinged up too bad.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The kid was being a douche for riding his bike into the coach's car. Any cops arriving on the scene should have promptly tasered him.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How would you like to be the reporter the Muskogee paper covering this coach's games considering that the paper became a part of the story?

Draft saved Draft deleted