1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football/Basketball writers needed for Buster Sports

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by AndrewJones, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewJones

AndrewJones New Member

BusterSports.com, a national college football and basketball interactive web site, is looking for writers with strong backgrounds covering either the Big East, SEC, Big Ten or Big 12.

Qualified candidates must have extensive knowledge of college football and basketball, the culture of the conference they cover, and be able to present it to readers in manners that could generate interaction.

We aren’t about covering just the news, we want to take it to the next level, explore what it means, and do so in ways that will inspire our radio hosts to discuss positions and readers to post comments or leave audio messages. At Buster, opinions matter.

Compensation will be determined by individual agreements between writers and Buster Sports with respect to production and his/her experience.

Please send resume and clips to Andrew Jones – AJones@BusterSports.com.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Re: Sportswriters needed for Buster Sports

Is this the same Andrew Jones that used to cover the ACC in Wilmington?

EDIT: If I had spent two minutes looking at the site before posting I could have confirmed this myself. Andrew is a good reporter and a good guy. His involvement gives the site some credibility.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Re: Sportswriters needed for Buster Sports

Andrew,

Could you please elaborate on the site. I.E. goals, financial backing, etc.

4. AndrewJones

AndrewJones New Member

Buster Sports is based out of Raleigh, N.C., and remains in soft launch mode.

Buster is very well funded, as you might figure considering we recently hired Tommy Tuberville, Tommy Bowden, Glen Mason, Dennis Franchione, Mike Gottfried, and Terry Donahue to host conference radio shows for us. We will soon unveil a similarly impressive cast to host basketball shows.

With media changing, Buster is intent on being out front in moving coverage forward and offering thought-provoking opinions on issues and actions of the day. We strongly encourage fan interaction with the site, its writers and radio hosts. Without them we won't succeed in these competitive times. That is a main reason our motto is "Being a fan is no longer a spectator sport."

We already have the ACC and Pac-10 covered but need people to handle the other four conferences. Radio experience is a plus. I do daily podcasts or shows and we'd like to get some of the writers to do some if they can.

E-mail me if you have any more questions.

- AJ

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Site and coaches make it appear there are real possibilities there. Need more writers to make it thrive, though. Which I suppose is the point behind this job posting.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Because, you know, opinions are like ass holes ... everyone's got one.

7. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

I sent Andrew an inquiry about the possibility of mid-major coverage in the future. Although he doesn't know me from Adam he sent me a response within the hour, even though the job possibilities for me are fairly negligible. Kudos for honesty and top-notch professionalism. I'm still waiting on responses from other places, months after the fact. If that's any example of the way Andrew, this site and the staff work, I see only good things for it's future. Site look pretty nice with plenty of interesting content, as well. Good luck, I hope it works. God knows we need some new, quality outlets for all us starving sportswriters.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm, I know a girl who doesn't have an asshole.
    Back to the job thread.

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

They are no longer accepting resumes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.