1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football at military schools

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Whipped, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Sorry for the DB, but I couldn't find the original thread from several months back.

I know football players don't sign with military academies like Air Force, but I can't remember what it is they do -- enlist? are commissioned?

Thanks for your help.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I thought it was a congressional appointment, but I could be wrong.

3. I'm pretty sure you have an entire application process to go through and then you have to be recommended, or appointed as Barsuk said, by one of your state senators.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I know that's the case for regular students. I did a feature last spring on a local soccer player who was headed to Annapolis and he described the lengthy application process. But I don't know if the process is the same for recruited athletes.

A kid that has committed to the team I cover said he had an offer from Navy, which led me to believe that athletes go through a different process.

5. The football coaches recruit the kids they want (and can get), and a certain number of spots within the academy are reserved for athletes -- that I know. The recruiting process is pretty much the same, but at the end of the whole process, players don't sign a national letter of intent like other D-1s do. I just don't know what that's called.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The I-A academies can continue to recruit following signing day because, much like Division III schools, they can't really "sign" anybody until students are accepted to the academies in the late spring.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, to be technical, can't all I-A schools recruit after signing day? There just isn't much point for the big boys, since anyone they'd actually want is gone anyway. Or am I off on that?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're right deskslave. If you have scholarhsips to give and there are kids out there you want, you can continue to recruit

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

"said he was also recruited by Navy?"

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The term is "accept [Academy] appointment."

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"We'd like you to play for us," the coach would say, "if you have what it takes to make it here."

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. I was recruited by the Marines.

Draft saved Draft deleted