1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football and What It Costs.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

McDonalds can also cause serious long term health issues.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Different subject, but definitely an issue. Just this morning I emailed my daughter's teacher about being more conscious of this problem.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see what you are doing now. Any potential health hazzard you can think of, you're just going to toss it out there. It's a tiresome, stupid argument.

Just because children face other health issues doesn't mean this is one we should ignore.

4. Would the box score use the kids' real names, or would little Joanie be named Scummy Sally or some other pro-wrestling-style stage name?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A shame? Really? Even if he has no interest in it?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, those kids get the hell out of the way.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Back to the article itself, I very much appreciated the article/Jenkins' even-handed approach to the issue of the costs of playing professional football.

As for the question of football, with a 12 yr old, I am glad he's too small to play (and does not have the instincts or quickness.) He played flag football for 3 years (our local program is one of the largest in the US) and it was pretty rough even then but nothing like tackle. I played and loved the discipline but there are physical costs that are way too high. He now does Tae Kwon Doe 5 days a week and well on the way to a black belt which is perfect for him.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice try, Boom.

In soccer, cranial injuries can occur from head-to-head contact (two people going up for one ball and bumping craniums), head-to-ground contact or head-to-post contact. The head injuries connected to soccer are not necessarily from heading the ball. I'd even argue that at least two of the three categories above - head-to-head and head-to-ground - are more frequent than being concussed or suffrering another form of head trauma from heading the ball.

Name one place in there where they blamed cranial issues in soccer to heading the ball and/or heading it excessively.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The dangers of soccer have been know for a while now.

A PSA from nearly 15 years ago: http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/New/Keep%20Our%20Kids%20Safe%201.asx

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two more soccer safety PSAs:

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/New/Keep%20Our%20Kids%20Safe%202.asx

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/New/Keep%20Our%20Kids%20Safe%203.asx

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In five years, hopefully kids will be taking home Ipads instead of books. But they of course will need some type of internet connection at home.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They'd have to change the kids' names to Eva Fangoria or Liz Vicious, or something that nods to lesbianism. That's about the only roller derby around nowadays, women's hard-edge roller derby.

Draft saved Draft deleted