1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another damn agate thread, but this is really something that bothers me.

It seems papers - ours included - can't come up with a uniform way to do a football boxscore. By that, I specifically mean individual scoring on field goals and safeties.

Here's how I believe field goals should be recorded in a boxscore:

KC-FG Creole 42, 3:30

That's how you get the AP boxscores for NFL, college, etc. (We choose to run first names on first reference for prep and small college games, and I'm OK with that.)

Here's how we often run agate for prep and small-college games for field goals:

KC-Creole 42 field goal, 3:30

I've always been of the belief that if the name is listed first, it's assumed it's a touchdown. By putting FG first, you know it's a field goal.

Now, for safeties. Often, all you see is this for a safety:

KC-Safety, 3:30
    KC-Team safety, 3:30

Every now and they, you'll see:
    KC-Creole safety, 3:30

Again, this is my belief, but I've always tried to describe - as briefly as possible - the safety. I like putting the word "safety" up front much like FG.

KC-Safety, Creole tackled quarterback in end zone, 3:30

OK, your thoughts now.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very simple Creole:

Someone in charge at your place (you?) has to decide what style to use and keep it consistent. It's not that difficult.

3. I'm with you that the safety should have some information about it and what caused it. Otherwise, if it's not in the story, nobody except those in the game will know what happened.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I wish I was in charge sometimes. :)

I guess I was more or less wondering how everyone else handles it.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Another question that will outlive us all: Is it

IND -- Manning 40 pass to Wayne

or

IND -- Wayne 40 pass from Manning

Discuss amongst yourselves.

6. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

AP style is for it to be receiver from passer. Sort of makes sense being that the receiver is really the one who scored the touchdown. But most newspapers don't use AP style for their box and have their own version. Doesn't really matter as long as you're consistent.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

We do the second.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

yes. Put the player who scored first.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

No. 2.

And creole, your preferences are what I would choose as well.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You are correct down the board.

The only plays on which a "team safety" should be recorded is when the offensive player goes down in his own end zone without being touched, or if a snap goes out of the end zone. (The last, extremely rare, exception would be when the offensive team is called for a spot foul (holding) in its own end zone.)

If a defensive player was responsible for a safety (made a tackle or blocked a kick), he is credited with the safety.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Got one for ya: The defensive conversion. How do you record it? In 12 years, I've only seen two but I dug up how I did it on one occasion:

F - Smith 1 run (kick blocked), 5:20
    K - Johnson 85 return of blocked extra point, 5:20

I haven't seen another box score from a game with a defensive conversion, so I have no idea if there's a consensus on style for that.

12. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Of course, if you've got one designer and one call-taker and a narrow-ass deadline and too much shit to do, is this a little like pulling hairs? We're not in a perfect world anymore, people.

Draft saved Draft deleted