1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fool me once, shame on you ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Calvin Hobbes, Feb 14, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had to look back and see what the hell Fenian Bastard did that was so witty and was going to ask what he was taking to warrant two outstanding posts in one week.

Thankfully, the earth returned to its correct rotation and it was Football Bat and not Fenian Bastard this time... ;)

2. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Yeah, guess I should have clarified.

Awesome Football_Bat...simply awesome!

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

The whole "still be friends" thing is hilarious to me. I know of one young lady with questionable morals who still remains friendly with her former fucktoy...much to the puzzlement of her dunderheaded fiancee, who doesn't seem to think this sort of a thing could be a problem. Can you say "car crash?"

This is more directed toward girrlhack's thoughts, but in the end, making overtures to someone who is bad for you, or is bad period, leaves you at fault. I think the people we choose to be with say a lot about us. I don't buy the whole "I know I shouldn't still be talking to soandso, but.." Not by a mile. I've been accused more than a few times of having a heart the size of an acorn when it comes to past relations, but it keeps me safe and well-adjusted. If you know someone is bad news, then cut them off and deal with it. It can be done. The whole "Oh, gee, I shouldn't be doing this," thing is all so much melodrama.

We all make mistakes...we all think we know people, find out we never had a clue, and get hurt in the process. That, unfortunately, can't be avoided. Walking over the same path, however, very often can. If you've had a rough go with someone who has a tad bit of baggage - a recently divorced sex addict with a kid, for example - and you find yourself willfully ignoring some obvious warning signals...well, I hate to sound cold, but who's fault is it?

4. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Kaylee: Can I borrow your acorn-sized heart for a few months? Believe me saying and doing are two different things. Knowing and doing are two different things. <shrug>

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Someone once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

You can't complain about the hot sand burning your bare feet when your beach sandals are in your backpack.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Knowing New York hotel rooms, it was probably a broom closet on the fourth floor.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Wow. That is one of her favorite quotes.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now that Calvin's problem has been solved, I wanted to note that the girl who chose to see Coldplay in Portland rather than spend a night with Chuck Klosterman made a very, very smart choice.

And I fucking hate Coldplay.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Staying friend is bad...period. Always.

I remember a buddy of mine in college dated a girl who continued to stay in contact with her ex. My buddy was crazy in love with this girl and she seemed to reciprocate it for a while. But he was uncomfortable about the ex.

Idiot that I am, I asked him if he trusted her. He said he did. I told him I just didn't see how he could tell her who to be friends with (again, I admit I was an idiot).

They end up breaking up. Sad, but shit happens. I had become friends with her as well, so one day I head back to my dorm with the idea of calling her and seeing how she is. Before I get the chance, my buddy calls and he's on his way over.

Turns out that two days after the breakup, she moved in with the ex. Needless to say, I never spoke to her again and I felt like complete shit for giving her the benefit of the doubt.

And ladies, please don't be offended. Reverse the female and male parts in this story and the same thing could easily happen.

10. RUN, FORREST, RUN

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

What is about people (me) who can receive all this great advice ... and still be a freaking idiot?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can't pinpoint why, but that is just fantastic for so many reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted