1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fool me once, shame on you ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Calvin Hobbes, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I went through something very similar. I really believe this book would help....it did wonders for me.

[​IMG]

It showed me exactly why I allowed myself to get into such a dysfunctional relationship and showed me how to get myself into a position where I'm ready for a healthy relationship.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Your-Life-Sucks-About/dp/1588720284

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

where do you people find this shit?
    I now have to clean up my keyboard after spit-taking coffee all over it.

As for our friend, recognize that you are pining for a fantasy. That's why you can't get over it.
    Its almost battered wife syndrome. You fail to see the reality.
    I wish you luck, but go through your stages of grief and you'll be better on the other side

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perfect. Tell her to send the watch and mail her the key back...now. Don't wait until she asks for the key back. Tell her she's taking it back. Don't leave any doors open at all.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Or you could just use the key to open her door when she's not around and get the watch back. On your way out, leave the key on her kitchen counter.

Although, I think this might actually be the opening to a sitcom plot, now that I think about it.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Use the key to key her car.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A little late, but run away, man.

I've been in this situation.

Run away.

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

EXACTLY. The minute I convince myself that it's finally over and I feel like I'm at peace with it, I get a call. And I just keep answering that call. Well, the other thing is I keep telling myself that we can be friends. What I should do is totally slam that door and walk away. MUCH easier said than done, as I'm sure you're aware. I can't even talk about my situation with my friends. They're WAY done with it, believe me. I just keep trying. That's all I can do. For now, I try to just be friends (it's always something to keep you coming around) until I run into the person I'm meant to be with. That's my philosophy right now.

As for Bill Watterson, he's a god! I understand his reasoning about not merchandising the strip, but I'd kill for a Hobbes doll. LOL I love that strip.

If you ever want to exchange war stories, just PM me. I bet I have more insight into this that it would seem.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always felt like the people who break your heart, and then tell you they still want to be friends, are the worst kind of cruel. I think women do this far more often than men, but men do it too. After you fall in love with someone, and you end up dating and it doesn't work out, that should be it. Because the people who still want to be friends want to have it both ways. And that's bullshit.

I spent a year trying to get over the first girl I ever really loved in college, and it took that long to move on because she couldn't just let me be, and I wasn't strong enough to walk away without looking over my shoulder. She'd call every now and then, ask if I wanted to see a movie, she'd write me emails when I was least expecting it, tell me that her family was still bummed that she dumped me. And a few times she'd get sad and cry in my arms, or she'd laugh we'd end up holding hands or making out, and for a few days I'd be sky high, only to be drop kicked back to earth when she wouldn't call for a week. When I finally told her, in a long letter, that I loved her but I simply couldn't see her anymore, ever, she cried and said she understood.

And then got engaged to someone three weeks later.

You can have a crush on one of your friends, have not be returned, and still be friends.

You can sleep with one of your friends, stop sleeping with them, and still be friends.

You can even date one of your friends, sleep with them, get dumped by them, and still be friends in some situations.

But you can't fall in love with someone, have them love you back, then break up with you, and still pretend that you can be friends. At least not without five years of distance. And if you think you can, it usually means one person is lying to themselves.

So let the phone ring, grrlhack. Buy a new watch, Calvin Hobbes. And Hoo, find the gal in the office lunchroom (or any place) who puts mustard on everything, and ask her out.

Mostly, just convince yourself (over time) that you totally deserve better. Because you do.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

There's a girl at the office who puts mustard on everything?

Perhaps you could pull the old hot dog/Johnson switcheroo on her one day. Just make sure that you don't get the bun soggy. Nobody likes a soggy bun.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

MM,

Mind if I use the phrase "cofee, cocaine and apple fritters" in the next song I write?

As to the subject of this thread, it would take a couple levels of social improvement for me to get involved in a dysfunctional relationship.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Slip out the back, Jack.

Make a new plan, Stan.

You dont need to be coy, Roy.

Just get yourself free.

Hop on the bus, Gus.

You don't need to discuss much.

Just drop off the key, Lee.

And get yourself free.

12. grrlhack

grrlhack Member