1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

foofs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Our Sportschick. Always reading for context.

2. I always heard it in reference to PR types.

"Stupid PR foofs."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There was the song Foof the Magic Dragon

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Foofdays with Morrie.
    Five Foofs you meet in Heaven.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Don't forget best sellers The DaVinci Foof and Foof and Demons by Dan Foof.

6. yep

i first heard foof in the press box at a Giants game maybe 15 years ago. may have been coined by George King?

describes a clueless sports writer.

one who acts like a buffoon, giggles too much, talks too loud, participates only in pack interviews since he never has a story idea of his own and participates in more fantasy baseball leagues than he's had sexual partners

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's been used in baseball press boxes for more than 30 years.. the first guy I heard use it was Bill Madden.
    And it seemed mostly to be aimed at the clueless radio guys ("radio foofs") who would invade NY baseball clubhouses in August and September when there were pennant races and ask some of the dumbest questions you ever could imagine... sort of combination fool and goof (get it?)

I guarantee you it was not coined by George King and it existed long before fantasy leagues did.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

what he said. 8)

don't know that it originally pertained to just electronic media types, but it surely often fit. as in, "some radio/tv foof did/said this..." but a foof can pertain to anyone. it's a great term. 8) 8) 8)

9. I've heard it about TV foofs, too.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Think Norman McLean!

11. I thought you were asking about some baseball term like RBI ... I was trying to figure out what Foof might be an acronym for ... force outs on Fridays? ...

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

think any on-air talking hairdo.

or screamin' stephen a., the ultimate new-age foof. or mike and the mad dog, foofs of the first magnitude. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted