1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamps do little to alleviate hunger; increase government dependence.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's funny that you would call it a "conservative fantasy," because the next logical step is one of the biggest conservative bogeymen going: Mandatory Pre-K.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think those are logically inconsistent, because I think the reason this is the conservative answer is that they know none of what they're advocating will ever happen anyway. So, cha-ching!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No spoilers!

4. Dick Whitman

As a general matter, though, I wonder how much we close the inequality gap/address poverty - and how cheaply - if we just fix our educational system.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The way we fix our educational system is to begin ensuring that more parents have the time, wherewithal and resources to be good parents. All of the things that you call "band-aids" -- higher wages, more time off, improved ability to collectively bargain, universal pre-K, affordable daycare -- are the tools that can help create better parents.

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

You know, I read something a few months back in which Wal-Mart execs said they'd favor raising the minimum wage.

So what's stopping Wal-Mart from raising wages on its own? Isn't that what Henry Ford did when he launched his enterprise? Isn't that what the guy running Costco is doing right now?

Or is Wal-Mart worrying too much about somebody grumbling for whatever reason... and is that grumbling really something Wal-Mart should be worried about?

7. Dick Whitman

My spitballing guess is that it would come from executive compensation, which would then make it difficult to recruit top executives. This is similar to when Warren Buffett says he should have a higher tax rate, and conservatives shout that he should just pay in extra unilaterally if he believes this so strongly.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's stopping Wal-Mart is that it is a publicly traded company whose shareholders would not want to see the company voluntarily spending more on wages than it absolutely has to.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the government raises the minimum wage, management has a strawman for possibly lower profits.

If the company raises wages on its own, management takes the heat from shareholders.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Put your economics thinking cap on and think this through:

1) Wal-Mart's prevailing wage is already in excess of the minimum wage (estimates from those least disposed toward Wal-Mart put it north of $8 an hour; others peg it even higher, in the $11/hour range)

2) An increase in the minimum wage would be a competitive hindrance to Wal-Mart's competition (smaller retailers with which Wal-Mart really competes).

So no wonder Wal-Mart would want an increase in the minimum wage!

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not that simple. While I agree with your point about the high marginal tax on the poor, I also believe the captains of industry have contributed significantly to poverty and growing wealth inequality by squeezing labor (directly and politically) in the name of shareholders. Workers, now less able to fend for themselves, are receiving a diminishing share of the wealth they help create. Of course, none of this helps poor people's children become better prepared to meet the demands of the modern workplace, either. In fact, it will deny them them the help they need (parental guidance, daycare, nutrition) and ensure the cycle continues.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The education system the 'i don't wanna pay no taxes for nothin'' forces are busy gleefully gutting.

Draft saved Draft deleted