1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamps do little to alleviate hunger; increase government dependence.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For who to raise wages?

The editor is not an employee of the government.

The private employer's priority is not to keep the editor off of food stamps. It is to employ a competent person in that position as inexpensively as possible.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think that and I am not at all ashamed. That''s because I doubt that growing wealth inequality has played even a trivial role in the almost three-fold growth in food stamp recipients since 2000. The 1-percenters having gotten wealthier has NOTHING to do with those at or near the food stamp level.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You know what would help now? Higher minimum wages, shorter work days/weeks/years and stronger, more enforceable labor laws.

4. Dick Whitman

But that's just food stamps, repackaged as a flexible spending account, with the burden of financing the program shifted from the government to private industry.

5. cranberry

Yeah, so what's your point?

6. doctorquant

If we'd just listened to that French guy a couple hundred years ago -- you know, the one who said we should make everyone work with one arm tied behind his/her back? -- we'd have full employment and absolutely no need for food stamps!

7. cranberry

So on the long continuum between slavery and the oh-so-cushy labor regulations I favor, where is the optimal place to land?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe with the realization that intentions aren't results?

9. Dick Whitman

Those are all Band-Aids that do nothing to fix the real problem: Americans, and in particular American men, do not possess the skills necessary to contribute to growing the present and future economy. And that's not a moral or character judgment.

10. doctorquant

Now you're talking tha crazay!

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly happy to strike a blow for pragmatism against modern liberalism. But I don't see any better alternatives at the moment.

12. cranberry

The REAL problem is growing poverty and a broken system that perpetuates it.

Draft saved Draft deleted