1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamp land

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I qualified at my last job, but couldn't make myself do it.

As poor as I was, someone else needed it worse.

Had I not been driving distance from family and able to raid their fridge?

I'd have signed up. No doubt in my mind.

I'm a little shocked there are people shocked at these stories, myself.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I'm in my hometown, those three or four times a year, my parents always tell me to go through their cabinets and fridges or do some laundry before heading back home. "Anything to save a few bucks," they say. I'll probably do that until the day they stop buying their groceries -- whether I need the food or not. I honestly think they really enjoy watching me pillage.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you had taken the food stamps the government would have refused someone else who qualified?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Try taking some real plates and silverware next time. :D

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In the state I was living in at the time, most likely. In all seriousness.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got the plates, though four plates were left by my deadbeat roommate (they're worth $500 each, apparently), but the silverware can stay there.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. Too many welfare queens buying Cadillacs, I reckon.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You got it. One of those libertarian utopias you keep hearing so much about.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At the small paper I worked at before my current one, my wife received WIC when she was pregnant with our first child.

Now, our kids receive SSI because they have disabilities. At first, I felt a little weird about it, feeling it was somewhat like collecting welfare. But I rationalized it this way. If our current president could be given a taxpayer-paid baseball stadium, and our vice president's former company could receive no-bid contracts, why couldn't I receive a few thousand in taxpayer dollars to help take care of my kids?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There's too much corporate welfare going on to feel bad about finding ways to put food on your plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted