1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamp land

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. nah, I actually made myself laugh responding to it, but then I had writers' regret and deleted it, but mr. crew quoted it for the world to see before it was lost forever.

In short, it is what it is.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

crew's bringing his A game tonight.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It was a tale of two countries.

4. Awesome.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I probably qualified in my first full-time gig, but never even looked into it. Probably because I grew up middle-class and didn't think of it as a possibility.

I did make a couple of trips to the food bank in bad times, which just felt like swallowing my own soul. My career has turned out well, and I will never, ever apologize for anything I've gotten. My dues are paid in full.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The cards also work as debit cards for cash assistance as well. It's the same as getting cash back when using an ATM card to pay for something at the store.

There is one thing about using food stamps that is funny. If you use coupons, you have to pay sales tax based on the face value of the coupon.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I probably could have qualified early on after high school but I worked in restaurants and the staples (food and beer) weren't really an issue.

If you have a family and qualify, though, use it without guilt. That's what it's for.

Do you feel guilty driving on a road or bridge built with tax money?

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I qualified at my first shop, but never went on it. Took a second job instead to get by. I also didn't have a wife or family.

I worked with reporters at two different shops who were on gov't assistance. Both had kids to support.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm wondering if host does anything except use Google and Wikipedia all day.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god yes.

duh, he uses SportsJournalists.com, too. ;)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

By Gawd, if more of us were like Host, we'd have discovered Grey Davis-gate and saved journalism!!!

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You mean the same Grey Davis, who is the grandson of Hitler and no one has reported it?
    Or do you mean the same Grey Davis, who has murdered babies for their stem cells to keep himself young when he is actually Hitler?
    I get very confused at times.

Draft saved Draft deleted