1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamp land

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was right on the border of being eligible for food stamps during my first gig. Not sure if I would've taken them, but I managed to make do by going two years with rabbit ears TV and no Internet access at home.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Good Lord. That's so illegal it's mind-boggling. But the period of time it would take to file a grievance, etc., would doubtless be enough for those guys to end up on the street.

3. I was on them my first 2 1/2 years as a journalist. When I became an editor I made enough not to be on them.

Was on them all my life as a child, and how fucking humiliating, especially when you live in a small town. At least now there is a little shred of dignity because you swipe a card instead of fumble around with multi-colored booklets while everyone waits.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how the system works. I've always been curious.

5. Wow.

This is an eye-opening thread. Someone needs to do a story.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'll do it ... for extra food stamps.

7. NICE.

This whole thread comes as a bit of a shock to me as well. During my short career I've always been lucky enough (I suppose) to make a barely liveable wage and have a wife-to-be that pulls in enough to keep us in a comfortable situation.

I enjoy my job, I really do. But it depresses the shit out of me that I busted my ass for four years in college just to graduate and be in the position where I can't afford to do more for the people I love. Now that I think about it, if I had kids I'd probably be in the same boat.

(Edit: I'm too stupid to work the quote function)

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In Detroit, people use their bridge cards (new food stamps) at stores to get cash. They will swipe their card for 100 bucks, the owner will give them 50 in cash and pocket the difference. Although, its Detroit it shouldn't surprise you. Also, my girlfriend in college tried to get on food stamps even though her college was paid for by her parents, she had her rent paid for by her parents, and her cell phone bill, had a car paid for by her parents with car insurance that she shared with her sister, and she had a part time job.

Anyway, it sucks that people misuse them. And it sucks that someone like stitch, who works in a very rewarding profession has to be on them.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Two years ago my state tax refund came with a "how to apply for food stamps" brochure. That was no fun.

As I was leaving my last job I discovered I was eligible for a housing subsidy through the county because the cost of living was so high. Had I known that while I worked there, I could have saved a ton of money.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I found out that one staffer in a newsroom at one of my former shops - married, one child - was on food stamps. I was so embarrassed and so pissed off with the company, I could barely contain myself.

And who among us wouldn't want a four-letter word or two with the management of the TV station that threatened to can the eligible employees?

12. jps

jps Active Member

i checked ... i don't qualify for my state. i am, though, just a bit above the line ... closer than i'd like to admit.

Draft saved Draft deleted