1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food stamp land

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm wondering who is on food stamps around here. I admit I'm on them as I have a wife and kids to support.

Just seeing if it is common in the industry or not for reporters at smaller papers to go on them.
  2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've thought about it. I'm definitely available, but I don't feel I should because my girlfriend - who I live with - makes a good deal of money. We don't split things up the middle, but I do give her weekly payments that are what i can afford and help with bills, rent, etc.
    If I was living alone, it might be a different story. I feel that taking something I don't really need because of my gf's situation would be wrong.
    Stitch, in your situation, I see nothing wrong with it.
  3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

Get back to me in a year or two when another round of buyouts come. (Or when our paper closes.)
  4. Flash

Flash Guest

A cub reporter at one of my former stops qualifies for provincial rent subsidies and visits to the food bank.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This thread depresses me. I've never been on food stamps. I've never even been close.

I can't believe there are places where you can't even buy food on our salaries.

And, yes, I guess I really am that naive.
  6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Friend of a mine, a former TV reporter, found out that he qualified for food stamps when he was working in TV land.
    Couple of other guys at his station also qualified and when the management found out, they didn't give them a raise, but they did tell them all that if they found out they had applied for them, they would be fired on the spot.
    I know of at least one print shop that keeps pay low on purpose so people can qualify for government assistance. Not food stamps, I don't think, but housing.
  7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If I stayed at my old gig, I would have been on them by now.
  8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I qualified for housing assistance at my last job.
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Because of the image, I take it?
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We can't pay you a living wage, but if you try to make ends meet, we'll fire you.
  11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Now that's the type of organization you want to work for.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

All three of us living in that house qualified for food stamps or were close. I kept telling him to go for it, if only for the potential lawsuit.

Edit: My wife saw the thread over my shoulder and said "If y'all could have used food stamps to buy beer, every one of you would have signed up." She's right.
Draft saved Draft deleted