1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food/restaurant rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I realize you're being facetious, but in the interest of the discussion, I'll respond.

Citrus peel/zest has a different aroma than the flesh, and aroma and taste are inextricably combined. They are not the same, but they are linked. One can taste something that reminds one of an aroma, and vice versa.

Further, orange peel is candied and eaten. Orange zest is used as a flavor component in food and cocktails.
    Orange peel and other citrus peels are often used as cocktail garnishes because of the aroma and the effect that aroma has on your palette as you consume the cocktail.

So I'd say many people know what orange peel tastes like.

What one perceives as flavor is a combination of taste and smell:
    http://www.brainfacts.org/sensing-t...and-perception/articles/2012/taste-and-smell/

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a cocktail geek, so I'm being a little facetious. I know that an orange peel makes an Old-Fashioned infinitely better, for example. And the scent as you slice it off the fruit is to die for.

I just think a lot of the "taste notes" are a bunch of bullshit. I really do. And although your point is well-taken, that you have to describe tastes by comparing them to other tastes, I do think there's this inferiority complex going when it comes to alcohol where you have to sell it as tasting like something else, because so many newbies just think alcohol tastes gross.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Fuck you.

Songbird likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. Didn't realize you were a waiter.

I will steal a full bottle from another table if it's handy, if that makes you feel better.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There are no Denny's around here for me to compare to Cracker Barrell, but I'm surprised it has a better reputation. I always thought Denny's was Waffle House for Pancakes. I eat at a Cracker Barrell a couple of times a year, and while their prices have increased significantly, their food is the same as it's always been. Agree 100 percent on the gift shops, sometimes it's like going through a damn maze to get in the place.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cracker Barrel food is blah. Nothing at all special. Biscuits are worse than most fast-food restaurants.

Golden Corral is one of the few places that it made me ill before I even ate. Gray meet being sizzling while people lined up to grab it, and heaping mounds of food that people took and didn't eat.

Olive Garden is fine. Mrs. Ace absolutely refuses to go there after an unfortunate incident involving ants and -- appropriately -- an olive. (But we stock up on their salad dressing at Costco.)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This post has a bitter citrusey note with a hint of mildewed legal documents.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. A lot of hotel restaurants try to push the buffet and I always ask for a menu. I do attend 8-10 meetings over the course of the year where my only choice is a buffet. Those are usually pretty high end, so it's not quite as bad

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are definitely some wines that 'taste notes' are present but I only noticed the ones that were really prevalent. I remember a Wolf Blass Grey Label Cabernet Sauvignon that had a definite eucalyptus taste, in particular.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

"Foodie" threat and one of the first two places mentioned is Jimmy John's? Fascinating.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding dumb,

Tabasco is not hot sauce?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is, but I am dismissive of it. I hate the taste.

Don't like when that's the only option.

Draft saved Draft deleted