1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foo Fighters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 20, 2012.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

As usual, I'm behind on all things popular/relevant. And while I think I'd be someone who could get into the Foo Fighters, I've never gotten on board for one reason or another. But anytime I pick them up ont he radio, etc., I tend to like what I'm hearing. Anyway, if I were to dig in, where/what CD should I start with? I'm not a playlist kind of guy, and I like to lean on entire albums. Any help?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would start with either "The Colour and the Shape," which has "Everlong," "My Hero" and "Monkey Wrench" on it, or go with the newest one, "Wasting Light." Both are terrific.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"I just celebrate their entire catalog"

No seriously, they're just a consistently good band, and you really can't go wrong with any of their albums. My personal faves are probably the first album and "In Your Honor."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Colour and the Shape is their best, but I don't think they've put out a bad album.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

They have a Greatest Hits album, released in 2009. If you like that primer, begin with the newest album "Wasting Light" and work backwards.

6. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Their first two albums are their best, and I doubt they'll ever surpass them. The first one -- Foo Fighters -- is sort of raw and unpolished, so it might take a few listens before you realize how great it is. The second one -- The Colour and The Shape -- is more accessible and radio-friendly, but also great. (I mean, Everlong -- what more needs to be said?)

Overall, though, I'll echo what others have said: They're consistently good. Even the albums I haven't loved have a few really good songs on them. And I think Wasting Light -- their most recent -- might be their best since their first two, which was good to see.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As good as their albums are, nothing matches seeing them actually perform. They work hard for the money.

And playlists be damned, I'll just say "Best of You" is one of the best single songs of the last 20 years.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've seen them in concert a few times, absolutely worth the damage to my hearing. Last time I saw them was a couple a years ago in Kansas City. Dave said something about how they'd been a band for 20 years and it was the first time I felt kind of old.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Look for the groupies, maybe you'll see Kurt's daughter there.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd never advise against buying a Foo Fighters album because they're all worth the money, but if you really want to sample their music, I recommend listening to them on Spotify for free.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Their newest album is great, but the first two are freaking fantastic.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Back and Forth documentary on them covers a lot of interesting ground as well. We saw them at Dodger Stadium on the Police reunion tour, and I thought their set was much more energetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted