1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fonts with respect to inDesign

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by I'll never tell, Aug 31, 2007.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

We kept our same fonts when we switched to indesign. The font we're using for agate is in the universe family.

Whenever we put agate on the page that was pre-bolded from the wire, it doesn't come in as bold, it comes in pink.

What font are some of y'all using to get around this agate page problem. Or is there a way I can un-pink it.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Is the type pink, or is it highlighted pink?

The pink highlighting means a missing font.

3. Fisch

Fisch Member

pink means InDesign is reading a font that isn't on your computer. check your paragraph and character styles to make sure you're using a font that is in fact on your computer.

4. Bingo. InDesign doesn't just randomly decide to make font pink, it's just the way it lets you know the font isn't correct. I suppose it defaults to something like Times new roman or whatever your default is. Just make sure the computer has the right font.

5. I'll never tell

OK. I'll explain it. From what I understand, InDesign has a group of select fonts that are called open fonts; Times is one.

These "open" fonts have only four options: regular, bold, italics and bold italics.

These fonts when imported from another program, see that a word is supposed to be one of the four choices above and read it as that. So, if a word is bold in quickwire and it imports into indesign, it will be bold in indesign, too.

However, Universe is not a family of fonts that has ONLY those four choices. In universe, you've got 47 Condensed, 57 Regular, 55 Roman, 67 Condensed bold ---- sooooooooo, when I'm importing from that family, it confuses the fuck out of Indesign. It sees a word that's supposed to be bold and InDesign freaks out and says ... what do I change it to? what do I change it to? There are so many choices. Oh, fuck, I'll just highlight the word pink.

What I'm looking for is a font that others use for agate that would operate like times -- with only the four open choices, so that when something is supposed to be bold (like the transactions) is remains bold and doesn't turn pink.

Have I confused the hell out of everybody or just myself?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If the fonts are in your system folder, wouldn't that be all you need?

C:/WINDOWS/fonts is where they're supposed to be installed.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Quick question: Is you paper using ATM (Adobe Type Manager)?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good job sneaking in the acronym, Doc.

9. I'll never tell

I think we are using ATM ... is that good or bad?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's fine. Now you just need to go in there and make sure your fonts are loading properly.

11. I'll never tell

so I guess the question goes back to: What font is everyone else using on the agate page?

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Another consideration: It's possible that your wire receiver is set up to convert the code AP uses to tell a line to be "bold" into the Quark coding for font name "Univers," attribute "Bold."

With InDesign, it's likely that Univers Bold is actually font name "Univers Bold", attribute "Normal". Because you don't have a "Univers Bold" "Bold" (is this making sense??), it's causing InDesign to not recognize the font.

You might want to talk to your IT guys and see if your system can be modified to read from the font name and not the font name+attribute.

Or, use Helvetica. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted