1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fomer Steelers Team Doctor Charged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JC, Oct 19, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure OOP will not believe that any Steelers were actually involved but I wll go with the safe assumption that they were.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/pittsburgh-doctor-charged-in-ohio-with-improper-drug-distribution-658265/

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of course he was. And of course they were.

Also, Men's Journal (which has done some great reporting on concussions in the NFL) now turns to the drug problem in the league.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/in-this-issue-the-nfls-secret-drug-problem-20121019

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Capt. Louis Renault is 40 years worth of shocked.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It always amazed me what a pass the NFL got on steroids.

I can still remember when Dan Dierdorf got all indignant during a broadcast when they were talking about steroids and he was going on how only 4 players tested positive and I thought about what a crock of shit that was.

I still think the steroid/HGH issue is massively under acknowledged. The NBA and NFL are ripe with users. I have no proof of this obviously but you just have to look at the physiques to know that they can't be maintained naturally.

I would also like to add that I don't really care, just always struck me as odd that people only really seemed to get upset about steroids in baseball.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chuck Klosterman wrote an outstanding essay on this about five years ago. "Why we look the other way"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/070319

Basically it's because, at least subconsciously, we all know the shit these guys have to put themselves through to play a game. I mean, if you or I has a cracked rib, we are on medical leave for three weeks from our desk jobs. These guys are probable for Sunday.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not "got" but "gets."

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A place in medical school is coveted by many and most students arrive to the first day of class filled with hopes of making a difference in the world. It's too sad that a small number lack integrity and lose their moral compass.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A smart medical man once told me that a torn muscle (torn, not pulled) was a classic steroid injury because the muscle gets abnormally large, which throws everything out of balance.

The NFL has a lot of torn muscles on its injury lists.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pardon me for being the one who is interested in facts and evidence. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted