1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

folo on decoy deer crash

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. 60 feet too far.

2. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Fair enough. Sorry for the random digression. Back to the dissection of the article's actual merits...

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I can answer the earlier question -- is the writer related to one of the families involved? That answer is no, even though there are plenty of people around Kenton who thought so, especially because she grew up in the area. (I confirmed this with her when I did a piece after the hubbub over the sentencing started.)

By the way, I'm sure one person who can't wait to put 2006 in the rear view mirror is Kenton's coach, Mike Mauk. First the fake-deer incident and nonsentencing, then his quarterback son getting his arm broken in Wake Forest's first game, then watching his backup lead Wake to its BEST SEASON EVER!

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Football players getting special treatment from the law in that area is nothing special. After the verdicts were announced, Kenton 'football fans' piled onto message boards and slandered the two hurt in the crash, saying they were high and blaming them for 'ruining' their team's football season. One of the players was under curfew to go home at 8 p.m. That didn't stop Mauk from using him on kick returns during the first quarter of games before he walked off the field to go home, to a standing ovation. A couple year's earlyier, Ben Mauk's replacement quarterback got arrested twice before losing his starting spot. He eventually returned to the field in time for the state championship game as a receiver.

Kenton fans once rushed a press box a couple years ago after a close loss, trying to get after the visiting team's coaches. The coaches barricaded themselves in by putting their backs to the wall and holding the doors closed with their legs and feet. The next week sheriff's deputies were in the box guarding it. They took pop bottle caps away at the concession stand because the spectators would litter the field with them. One visiting coach was pegged with a bottle and had to be taken to the hospital after a game. This is in the last two to three years.

If I was in that wreck I would move before some crazy starts taking shots at them from the roadside.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

That's interesting info, SportsDude. There have been similar stories recently about injuries to non-athletes that affect athletics, and those non-athletes received similar threats and slander. Amazing what people will say or do in hopes that their kids will six football games instead of four.

I thought the story worked, but ONLY because of the editor's lead-in paragraph. The actual lede to the article was far, far too long to work on its own.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Can someone post "Deer-decoy-and-Put-It-in-the-Middle-of-a-Hilly, Rural-Road, Just-to-See What-Would-Happen-for-Dummies?"
    Just so I know what the hell you're talking about.

7. joe

joe Active Member

If somebody's taking shots at me, they're getting double back. Both fucking barrels. Relaoded.

Draft saved Draft deleted