1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following Winter Recess, Congress will hold steroid hearings.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 17, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I saw this on Dave Meltzer's Wrestlingobserver.com site.

Mr. Rush's biography: http://energycommerce.house.gov/Subcommittees/ctcp.shtml

Why, I do declare that Messrs. Selig and Fehr may be a tad uncomfortable sitting at the same table as Vince McMahon and Barry Bonds.

2. What's left out of Congressman Rush's bio is that he was once a high-ranking member of the Chicago Black Panthers and that it was only dumb luck that he wasn't murdered in his bed the day Fred Hampton was.
    In other words, Rep. Rush has a loooonnnnnnggg career as a gen-u-wine bad-ass.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

And football keeps on skating. Amazing what good PR will do for you.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Doesn't everything in Washington happen during recess?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I absolutely agree with you. The NFL needs to be brought into the hearing to discuss its testing program and how it may need to improve.

Dave Meltzer has repeatedly said that if professional athletes dropped dead at the same rate as professional wrestlers, there would have been Congressional and media investigations.

The following is a Frank Deford piece from NPR:
    I think it's vitally important that all sports and professional wrestling have their drug testing programs thoroughly examined. Are there flaws in the testing? The WWE's policy is laughable. It's almost an open invitation for Vince McMahon's bloated ballooned band to turn their bodies into walking GNC stores.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wasn't it David Boston who had GHB in his system and USA TODAY had one graf on it on its scoreboard page?

If it had been David Eckstein, it'd have been splashed across page one.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There was a pretty eye-opening piece on Boston a couple years ago, about his training regimen and the amount of supplements he was using. He physically exploded, topping out at 280. He bragged about how strong he was and how good he thought he looked.

What I don't remember is if the NFL investigated him for steroid abuse.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Several thoughts:

1. I wish that Congress would spend more time worrying about kids going to bed hungry and our health care crisis than millionaire athletes sticking themselves with needles.

2. Having said that, watching Vince McMahon testifying before Congress is bound to be priceless.

3. I'm in full agreement with Deford. Meltzer is terrific in his reporting. His full story after the Montreal Screwjob in 1997 is a must-read for wrestling fans.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a massive waste tax money.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why doesn't Congress do something about the Americans being killed in a useless war in Iraq or the large number of Americans living in poverty or our pathetic education system or our lack of concern about out of control health care costs or 1,000 more important issues than a bunch of rich asshole athletes using steroids?
    When did we become such a totally fucked up country?

Draft saved Draft deleted