1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following through on resumes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure this topic has been broached before, but what, especially for non-newspaper jobs, should you do after you send a resume?

From what I've seen on different sites, the jury's out on whether or not you should follow up. Some say you should, since it shows initiative. Yet others say you shouldn't, because they get so many applicants, and it's a pain in the ass to them.

So, what should I do? Follow up with a phone call? E-mail? Both? Neither?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If there isn't a message that says "No phone calls", then call a week later, especially if you haven't heard anything back. Tom Petty may disagree, but I've been complimented a few times for calling back and it helps if you apply for out-of-state jobs. Many papers will look to local or regional candidates, so if you really want the job, you need to make it known.

I'll follow up with jobs I really want.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd send an email.
    I try to send out emails to applicants saying i have received their stuff to put them at ease knowing their stuff made it.
    I can answer emails at my convenience. Phone calls not so much.
    that's one person's opinion, though. Others probably disagree.

4. accguy

accguy Member

I think following up is very key. I was/am a big believer in picking up the telephone. I don't have an issue with email, but phone is a little more of my personality. But do it early in the day and immediately ask if they are in the middle of something.

Just as key is trying to find an advocate for you inside the paper who knows your work or work ethic or whatever. If you can get that person to go their boss and talk about you, that will often get your resume/clips at least a better read. I realize that isn't always possible, but it certainly helps.

This is part of the reason why having a good LinkedIn profile is a really smart thing to have. It is sometimes amazing who fits under the category of "friends of friends." That number grows so quickly. And it's possible that somebody you know from your beat or your state or whatever, went to college with or worked for or worked with the person who is making hiring decisions or has a role in the hiring decisions.

The reality right now is that every job has many qualified applicants and it is difficult to stand out in a crowded pool. Because of that, there is nothing wrong with using your connections to at least ensure that your stuff gets into the "must read" pile.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe I didn't make myself quite clear, but I was talking about applying for jobs out of newspapers (although I'm sure the rules apply pretty much the same for newspaper jobs anyways).

Which also leads to another subject. For nearly all of my career, except for a brief spell, I have been in sports journalism. How do I emphasize to potential employers that I am able to do a job that has nothing to do with sports?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Communication skills should stand out, and hopefully computer skills. A lot of the workforce needs help using Word.

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I found that it is a little different applying for jobs in and out of the newspaper industry. For newspaper jobs, I found that it is better to follow up with either a call or an email. For non-newspaper jobs, I have found that they prefer that you do not follow up. They usually send out emails saying that they prefer no calls or emails. That is just in my experience.

As far as emphasizing your skills, make sure to highlight your communication, writing and computer skills. Those are valuable assets to any job and company.

Draft saved Draft deleted