1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Follow the money ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 7, 2012.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Pretty sobering numbers. Nothing that would surprise any of us, but still a bit of a shock. What is even more troubling to me is that the online adjustment is such a small number for all of the effort and resources.

Holy shit! Sorry I didn't include link to the larger post!
    Edit/append: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2012/09/freefall-adjusted-for-inflation-print.html

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You'll hate me, but I used Craig's List to sell something this week.
    Online advertising is going to take a further hit with the pay walls. With Craig's List your audience is EVERYONE with Internet access. Are most paywalled papers making access to their classifieds free?

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, as many of us have argued on here for years ... online ad sales might help slow the bleeding, but they won't save the patient.

If you want to see this chart "localized" at your shop, go into the morgue and dig out a bound volume from the 1970s or 1980s. I guarantee the number of ads and pages will be stunning. And sad.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

fishwrapper, is there a full article to link to? I would love to see this chart broken down by circulation models and size.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That looks like the border of Maine and New Brunswick. Good God.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What is even more troubling to me is that people still think we should be giving away the product for the hell of it, after nearly 20 years of it not working.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I am so sorry. I edited/appended original post to include full link.
    But to answer your question, he's just dealing in the advertising pie as a whole, and not the various slices.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think it bears an uncanny resemblance to the iceberg that played such a pivotal role in "Titanic."

That's a nosedive from which there is no "Pull up! Pull up!"

Draft saved Draft deleted