1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foley shot with a .2333 BAC.....damn!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, since this guy was a professional athlete, I'd assume he had the body mass and metabolism to handle more than five beers.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It takes 2-3 drinks in an hour for a 137-pound woman to blow a .08. I'm betting he had more than 5 drinks to hit a .2333.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It's definitely well beyond witty and charming, but not quite witty and charming part II.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When the BAC you blow is almost higher than Ryan Leaf's lifetime completion percentage that's not a good thing.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

An NFL player on steroids? That's unpossible!!! They have such a good testing program!!! Why, even Congress believes it!

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How does someone figure it is roid rage is he is at .233?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Police officer friend got an extra BAC machine for us to use one night when we were doing a demonstration on how alcohol affects the body, vision, etc.

I got up to 0.20, but it took a SHITLOAD of work. I was up around 12 drinks by then.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm a little pissed off after reading this story. The prosecution assumes Foley is on steroids because he has had past run-ins with the law and is aggressive.

WTF? So a 265-pound professional football player who is fuckin blasted with a .233 blood alcohol level is automatically assumed to be on steroids? The dude gets paid to be pissed off and hit quarterbacks as hard as he can for a fucking living, not to mention he's THREE times the legal limit for alcohol, yet the dipshit prosecution thinks Foley may have a steroid problem. Perhaps Dan Nordell took too many roids during his backyard wrestling days and his dick shrunk.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Just a little less drunk than I was the first night at Nye's.

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Alcohol is a great drug but since it's addictive it has two specific properties: it builds tolerance and it causes withdrawal symptoms when stopped.

There is a difference between being intoxicated by alcohol and being incapacitated. The more you drink on a regular basis, the more you can tolerate without becoming incapacitated. That doesn't mean that chronic alcoholics can drive a car when drunk. Their reaction times and decision making capabilities are just as affected; but the chronic drinker will be able to function at higher blood alcohol levels, while a novice might be out cold. That is why the chart showing levels of drunkenness doesn't quite work. A high school student will be comatose at .200, but a street drunk might just be warming up.

As for metabolism, it is dependent on body size, mass, composition and general liver function. But a general guide is that one drink equivalent (1 beer, 1 glass of wine, 1 shot) will increase blood alcohol level by .02. As well, the body will metabolise about a drink an hour (or .02 per hour).

To get to .233, Foley either drank 12 shots in one hour or more than 12 over the course of a couple, three or more hours (you can do the math)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the South, we'd say he was "drunker than Cooter Brown."

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does anyone remember that thread from a few months ago when some European (I think Bulgarian) guy blew like a .55 and was actually driving around.

Draft saved Draft deleted