1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F'n writer's block

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Money007

Money007 Guest

Just for the record, I have found this to be a very helpful thread. Youngans in the audience will probably agree.

One thing I try to do when I write any story (be it gamer, feature, recipe) is figure out what makes it different from everything else I've written and start with that. It could be a single play, an interesting quote or even the weather - anything to get me started and avoid the typical "The Bumblescrew High School Peanuts beat the Rival High Losers 7-6 last Saturday night."

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Dammit, Smithers! This isn't rocket science; it's brain surgery!

I appreciate all the help from everyone and the ball is finally starting to roll down the hill. I had the first three graph written to begin with, but I was having trouble making the transition. The tough part about this particular article was it felt like you needed a crowbar to pry the words out of my subject's mouth. Not a bad guy, but definitely on the shy-side.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good luck, man. :)

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I like to take a pee. Leads always pop into my head when I'm peeing. I have no idea why.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Well, they say you always do your best thinking while in or on the john.

6. An former editor of mine, who is also a brilliant writer, gave me a tip that has always worked. At the top of your blank computer screen, write this:

This story is about:

Then write one short sentence -- not a word or a phrase or two sentences, but one sentence.

What that does is helps you focus in on the what you think the point of the story is. It's easier to get started when you know which direction the story will be headed. Try it. The best part is that you won't have a frustrating blank screen after you write that one sentence.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

What he said about transcribing quotes. When you start, you'll begin thinking which ones goes first which would work with the lede, which can be left out, ect.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Are you sure your material is good enough for a story?

Best advice I ever got: You are never better than your material.

Writers block comes from trying to be better than what you got. Just tell the story. Don't force it.

Why are you writing a story on this person? If he is worthy of a story, then start right there.

Don't try and make the story something its not.

That, and try to find good stories.

Also, if you got tape transcribe the notes (I actually think you should do this whenever you have tape).

Transscribing notes helps collect your thoughts.

9. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

Walk away for 10-15 minutes to clear your mind. It's simple, but effective.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

One more phone call might jar things loose, too -- especially if you're dealing with weak material. Call somebody back and ask that one more question.

11. great point.

I feel like Columbo a lot - "Oh, just one more thing" - but it's so true ... when you're sitting there not sure where to go, make that one more call and you just might get exactly what you're missing

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I generally find cussing at my computer works wonders.

Draft saved Draft deleted